Strange duplicate issue

TKhanson

Strange duplicate issue

Post by TKhanson »

Everyone:

I have a Brother in our ward who use LDS.org and also has the mobile app on his android device. His first name is Darin; however, his name on the lds.org web site, when used from his phone shows Darrin (2 'r's) . His last name is also miss spelled. I told him to go into account settings and change his name and display name. When he attempted to do so, he got the Red text error screen that reads "A user with this account information already exists. If you need help recovering your account, please vist out Help Page".

So clearly there is a duplicate record. How should I clear this up? Can he delete his Darrin account and then just use the Darin account?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Strange duplicate issue

Post by russellhltn »

I'm confused. There's two issues. First, is the ldsaccount. For obvious reasons, that account name has to be unique. However, with the exception of this forum, that account name never appears except on the login screen. So it really shouldn't cause much of an issue since only that member sees it. That's probably the issue the member is running into while trying to make changes.

Now, if the name is wrong on the lds.org website, that suggest something is wrong with his membership record. The member has only very limited ability in that regard. It's probably better for a clerk or membership clerk to review all the name fields of his record (as well as the name on the Household record) to make sure they're all correct.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
TKhanson

Post by TKhanson »

Membership record is accurate; has proper spelling and all. When he attempts to change the spelling of his account, it gives him that error that another user with that name already exists. Is it possible for end users to request an account deletion?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Just to be clear, there are two fields in LDSAccount. The first is "Display Name". I have a misspelled version of my name there - and it appears nowhere else that I can see. Certainly, not the directory.

The second field is "Username", which is used to log into the LDS Account. Again, with the exception of this forum, that name doesn't appear anywhere. Certainly, not the directory.

If something is wrong (name-wise) in the Directory, then something is wrong in the membership record - and only a clerk can fix it.

On the individual record, there are 4 fields: Full Name, Preferred Name and Maiden name
On the household record there is: Household name

You need to check all four. The Household name is what frequently trips up people trying to fix names.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Mobile Applications”