LDS Tools Stops Working During Sync

Discussions around the Android version of the Member Tools application
jamespnash

LDS Tools Stops Working During Sync

Post by jamespnash »

Tim suggested I post this. I use an ASUS tablet Model ME302 running Android version 4.3. I have used this tablet and LDS Tools for a couple of years with no problems. Now, when I try to open LDS Tools, it wants to sync. I sign in, it authenticates, prepares to sync, and begins syncing. At about 2/3 of the way through as indicated by the sync process bar, I get the message that LDS Tools has Stopped Working. This is not a username/password issue....I sign in dozens of times each day in FamilySearch and in my LDS account.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled LDS Tools repeatedly with the same results. The only thing I have not tried is a Factory Data Reset because I don'r want to lose the videos and photos on my tablet. I have no callings except as a fulltime missionary (workforce employee). If I remember correctly, LDS Tools worked okay up until we had our membership records moved from our previous salt lake missionary branch back into our home ward. I did notice some older posts that indicated this is not necessarily a new issue. If anyone can provide thoughts/suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: LDS Tools Stops Working During Sync

Post by lajackson »

jamespnash wrote:At about 2/3 of the way through as indicated by the sync process bar, I get the message that LDS Tools has Stopped Working.
The last revision to LDS Tools drastically slowed down the sync time for me. I have found I need to be on a fast WiFi connection and make sure my Android phone stays awake during the process. If the sync takes too long, you will get the "stopped working" message, but you can turn around and restart the sync again. I was getting 3/4 the way through.

It happens every third or fourth time. I suspect it has to do with the size of your stake and the amount of data it is trying to download. I have not reported it yet but plan to the next time it happens.
jamespnash

Post by jamespnash »

The partial sync process only takes about 10-15 seconds, so I don't believe it is a timeout issue unless LDS Tools has a very short timeout. I have made multiple attempts to sync back-to-back....it simply won't sync. Thanks for your thoughts. I will try it at my sons home this weekend who has fiber service, but if that does works, it is still impractical for the normal layman who doesn't have fiber.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jamespnash wrote:The partial sync process only takes about 10-15 seconds, so I don't believe it is a timeout issue unless LDS Tools has a very short timeout.
No, mine went about a minute to the 3/4 point, then took another two or three minutes to finish the job. You may want to send feedback through the app (if you are able).
Osborn

Post by Osborn »

I have the same tablet and it won't sync anymore. I have a few other devices, one older and a couple newer, which all sync fine. I think it's the tablet.

Return to “Android Member Tools App”