Organ sound through cultural hall speakers

Discussions around meetinghouse sound systems, microphones, assisted listening devices, and translation equipment
jashcrof

Organ sound through cultural hall speakers

Post by jashcrof »

I have heard that the organ sound is supposed to go through the speakers in the cultural hall automatically when the curtains have been opened. How do I get this feature to work?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: Organ sound through cultural hall speakers

Post by Mikerowaved »

There should be a "box" up high on one side of the curtain. When the curtain is pulled open past this box, it sends a signal to to the sound controller to kick in the chapel audio to the cultural hall. My stake center routes the organ music through the same way, but stake centers have different systems and organs (such as pipe), so I can't say if your stake center is equipped the same as mine.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
alankentashcroft

Post by alankentashcroft »

Mikerowaved wrote:There should be a "box" up high on one side of the curtain. When the curtain is pulled open past this box, it sends a signal to to the sound controller to kick in the chapel audio to the cultural hall. My stake center routes the organ music through the same way, but stake centers have different systems and organs (such as pipe), so I can't say if your stake center is equipped the same as mine.

Thanks. I saw the boxes and there is a little red light in it. I wondered if that was it. Maybe they are out of alignment and I need to call FM to fix them.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'm sure it's dependent on two things: First, an organ that outputs it's sound to the sound system. Secondly, a sound system that's been configured to use it.

According to this post, it is not the standard.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:According to this post, it is not the standard.
It was installed in our new building that doubles as a stake center. The sound contractor said all new buildings built with stake offices have the organ wired into the sound system and it activates only when the cultural hall curtains are open.

Which is exactly the way it works in our meetinghouse.

I imagine it has to be an electronic organ. There is no line out for a pipe organ, of course.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

And, something to consider - if you're miking the choir, you may not want to organ to go to the sound system. The choir mics will pick up the organ as part of the mix. Added organ to the sound system messes up the mix.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

Return to “Meetinghouse Audio”