DST time automatically changes

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
barwillhansen

DST time automatically changes

Post by barwillhansen »

I live in Arizona. We do not follow DST like the rest of the nation. However when I enter in a recurring event in January at a particular time, the calendar automatically changes times in April. Is there anyway to disable the DST function in the calendar?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: DST time automatically changes

Post by russellhltn »

The calendar is supposed to operate off the time zone settings of the computer you're using.

I'd suggest going to http://pellepim.bitbucket.org/jstz/ and seeing what's in the highlighted area at the top of the page. In your case, it should show "America/Phoenix"
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jschaub

Post by jschaub »

Another Arizona resident. I can confirm that my recurring calendar events are off by 1 hour starting 6 November. The website you suggested indicates that my browser is reporting America/Phoenix. Can someone on the development team look into this. We rely on the calendar being accurate for our activities.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You might want to check the sync file and see if it's correct there.

There's been a long standing problem where the calendar display is off for things on the other side of DST. It will correct itself once DST changes. No idea why it's taken so long to fix. There might be an issue with trying to run every event though a DST "filter" before display. (Since DST changes at different dates world-wide, you can't hard-code for the US changes.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:There's been a long standing problem where the calendar display is off for things on the other side of DST. It will correct itself once DST changes. No idea why it's taken so long to fix.
I don't think they know how to fix it. It has been years now, and it makes our calendars worthless twice a year, unless we adjust for it, then crash program everything back the Sunday morning we either leave or arrive at the time change.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:I don't think they know how to fix it.
It may take a significant structural change to do it.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:It may take a significant structural change to do it.
Perhaps. Whatever it takes, it appears it is not going to happen. So we struggle with workarounds for the tools we have.

Some of the experienced members understand that just because the calendar says stake general priesthood meeting will be at 8:00 pm on November 6th, if they look again on the 6th, they will find that the time of the meeting has changed to 7:00 pm.

And the new and inexperienced members will miss the meeting if they rely on their official Church calendars and don't recheck on the day of the event. Or worse yet, they will travel for nearly two hours and show up at the stake center just in time for the closing prayer.

Which is why I never rely on the Church calendar for anything other than a preliminary planning guide. I verify each and every event I plan to attend with another reliable source or I am not there. That's just the way it has to be under the circumstances. Where I live, the price is too high to pay if the Calendar is displaying incorrect information.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:Which is why I never rely on the Church calendar for anything other than a preliminary planning guide.
That's assuming leaders keep the calendar up to date. I'm sure that's something that varies from unit to unit.

Return to “Calendar”