LDS Open Source Projects

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
WelchTC

LDS Open Source Projects

Post by WelchTC »

Let's use this thread to gather any information about LDS themed Open Source Projects. Please post replies to this thread with the project details and URL where they can be involved. Please do not post discussions about these projects so we can keep the thread easy to manage. If you have concerns about a project and whether it should be posted, PM me.

Tom
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Here is the list of what I have found throught the posts:
  • [thread=47]VCard2Outlook[/thread] (2nd page) Hosted at: SourceForge
  • [thread=28]LDS Meeting Manager[/thread] Hosted at SourceForge
  • [thread=113]Scripture Software[/thread] Hosted BYU Personal Page but will move to SourceForge once someone creates a project for it.
  • [thread=170]Scouting Software[/thread] Currently no place is hosting as a source control.
  • [thread=203]MLS Companion[/thread] Currently ideas are being thrown around, no project has been started yet.
  • [thread=207]LUWS Interface[/thread] Currently not being hosted anywhere but in development.
- David
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

I started a project for creating a High Council speaker assignments for a stake at the request of CaptainSalisbury.

The thread is [thread=244]here[/thread].
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

I've also created a thread about the Ward Mission Program [thread=241]here[/thread].
pritchet1

LDS Open Source Projects

Post by pritchet1 »

A few of us who are on the Macintosh side of things use Reunion 8 but it has not been updated in a few years. We reviewed it on our website at http://www.maccompanion.com back in 2003 or 2004.

Logan Allred has been busy trying to get PAF functionality working in Mac OS X and is stuck at the beta 4 release and he asked for help. He uses Cocoa as the development app to do the "look-and-feel" of PAF for the Mac.

http://homepage.mac.com/logan/MacPAF/
http://homepage.mac.com/logan/iblog/MacPAF/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/macpaf/
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

In [thread=245]this thread[/thread] the Church is asking for help with a certain open source project that would help the Church in various translation projects.

Tom
jay.askren

Emergency Preparedness Software

Post by jay.askren »

Here's some software I created to help wards with their Emergency Preparedness plan.
http://jay.askren.net/emergency/
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

Very nice! I like the way where you can select a skill or resource and see who in the ward has it. Cool feature! Are you looking for others to help develop on this project?

Tom
jay.askren

Emergency Preparedness Software

Post by jay.askren »

If someone wanted to help on this, that would be great since my time is somewhat limited. I haven't bothered finding a place to host this or deciding on a license since I'm the only one working on it. I asked around before but didn't find anyone with serious interest. For those who might be interested in helping these are some of things I would like to do still:
  1. Export nice reports to PDF (probably using Jasper reports)
  2. Having the ability to add families not in MLS
  3. Eventually, password protection may be added.
  4. Write a user manual.
  5. Add a hsqldb as database backend (Currently everything is stored in memory so the program would run out of memory. If one tried to add their entire stake, the application would probably crash and burn.)
  6. Better map interactivity. (Currently you can select a place on the map and the families in the selected area are highlighted. I would like though to be able to select a family on the map and have where they live highlighted. There are other map features that would be desirable. Geotools is currently used as the mapping software, though I'm willing to change because it is extremely unstable, so much so that they deprecated their GUI code a year ago and the last time I checked haven't replaced it.)
  7. Make maps more customizeable. (Currently, you can add your own data to the map such as roads, rivers, etc... but it's not very easy for non programmers to do.)
  8. Make application easy to install on Mac and Linux.
  9. Come up with a good name for the application
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

I could do some of those tasks. Have you considered h2database vs hsqldb? I have found it VERY fast, easy to use and flexible. What if I were to use that as the backend?

Tom

Return to “Other Member Technologies”