Vidiu Overlay or wirecast

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
TerryLittlewood

Vidiu Overlay or wirecast

Post by TerryLittlewood »

Is there a way to use the Vidiu system to add overlays to stake conference broadcasts originating in your building or does that require use of Wirecast?
How do we request a license for Wirecast?
Any suggestions on how to set this up?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Vidiu Overlay or wirecast

Post by russellhltn »

I doubt the church will hand out Wirecast licenses. I think they did at one time before settling on the Vidiu. The church considers titling to be optional.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
TerryLittlewood

Post by TerryLittlewood »

I spoke with someone at Telestream (the makers of Wirecast) and they did say that the corporation purchased about 170 licenses. The info on Wirecast on the help site says to get the license thru store.lds.org but there is nothing there. I tried our FM group but he wasn't familiar with it.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I stand by my prior statement. I believe that was a option back when the Webcast Communicator was also an option. Both disappeared once the Vidiu was offered. Units that received them can continue to use them, but I don't think the Church is issuing any more.

From Webcast Requirements page:
Units that use webcast technology are encouraged to keep their webcast setup as simple as possible. Overly complicated systems can be difficult to run, and represent an unnecessary expense to the Church. Advanced features such as speaker titles, hymn text, and multiple cameras are optional, not required, for a successful webcast.
If you want titling, I think you're going to have to fund that yourself from the stake funds.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

TerryLittlewood wrote:Is there a way to use the Vidiu system to add overlays to stake conference broadcasts originating in your building or does that require use of Wirecast?
How do we request a license for Wirecast?
Any suggestions on how to set this up?
VidiU cannot do the overlaying, but it will encode whatever video and audio you send it. So if you have a way to add overlays using a laptop, for example, and then send the video out as a complete source from there to the VidiU, the VidiU will happily encode it and send it on.

Since Wirecast was using a laptop in the first place, I understand that the program allowed some adding of overlays. As others have mentioned, Wirecast costs the Church per account, and so I think they would discourage it now, if it is even available.
seanhyte

Post by seanhyte »

You can no longer purchase a Wirecast license from the church. You used to be able to download the trial software then order a license through store.lds.org at a discount, but when the software was updated to a new version, the Church pulled it off the store as of a few weeks ago. If your stake still wants to purchase Wirecast, you would need to purchase it direct from the developer - telestream.net using local unit funds.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”