received record with incorrect address

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
dinsdct

received record with incorrect address

Post by dinsdct »

recently we have had a number of records moved into the ward from other units or from church headquarters that the address's are non-existent or not in our ward, what do we do with those ?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: received record with incorrect address

Post by sbradshaw »

If it's from another ward, you can use the Church Directory of Organizations and Leaders (cdol.LDS.org) to find contact info for the clerk in the ward it came from. They may have more information.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

dinsdct wrote:recently we have had a number of records moved into the ward from other units or from church headquarters that the address's are non-existent or not in our ward, what do we do with those ?
If the address is not in your ward, I would move the record to the ward that geographically covers the address. If the address does not exist, I would return it to the ward it came from.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

lajackson wrote:If the address does not exist, I would return it to the ward it came from.
That is not possible without an address in that ward.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

jdlessley wrote:
lajackson wrote:If the address does not exist, I would return it to the ward it came from.
You can, however, contact the clerk in the previous ward and ask them to pull it back. That way you can also let them know that the address was invalid so they know why it came back and can hopefully find the correct address.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:
I don't know about now, but it used to be possible. The prior ward could have sent it by specifying the ward. You can send it back by returning the favor. It could also explain why he's received records for addresses that's not in the ward.

It seems too many clerks think they have to specify the new ward when moving a record. That's not true and tends to cause more problems. Generally, unless the member is known to be attending a singles or language unit, it's best to leave that blank and let SLC's computers figure it out.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:I don't know about now, but it used to be possible.
With the switch to LCR that is no longer possible (at least I can't figure out how to do it).
russellhltn wrote:It seems too many clerks think they have to specify the new ward when moving a record. That's not true and tends to cause more problems.
LCR works completely differently than MLS did. In LCR you have to first specify an address. It then presents you with a list of wards to which that address is assigned and you select one of them (the residential ward is the first and default option). There is an option to search for and select a ward that isn't on the list but it takes extra steps. So now the clerk does need to specify the new ward but unless they do extra work it should be the residential ward or a specialty ward for that location.
jirp

Post by jirp »

Unless LCR has gotten better recently you can still beat it a number of ways and send a bad address on. I haven't tried recently but surely the old tricks still happen.

Under old MLS you could override and send it one with no address or the most common other answers were to repeat the town and state as a street address or use the new wards church building address or the bishops address in place of a real address. Both of the last 2 probably still work under LCR. If not a nearby business address will surely make LCR happy so it can be beaten.(it isn't the correct thing to do but it almost certainly can be done)

Back when I took over as clerk we had 2 or 3 dozen families in the ward who's records had been moved in that way. I tried to be sure on my watch it never happened with outgoing records. If that means we sit on records who we know are elsewhere for a decade, oh well.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jirp wrote:Back when I took over as clerk we had 2 or 3 dozen families in the ward who's records had been moved in that way. I tried to be sure on my watch it never happened with outgoing records. If that means we sit on records who we know are elsewhere for a decade, oh well.
I would not wait a decade. If I knew the member had moved and I did not have a good address, I would follow the instructions for moving the record without an address, then send it.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jirp wrote:Under old MLS you could override and send it one with no address or the most common other answers were to repeat the town and state as a street address or use the new wards church building address or the bishops address in place of a real address.
If I got a record like that, there's a good chance it would be flying back so fast that there would be collateral damage upon impact. I realize the sending ward may not have every last detail, but if there's no clues to track down the member, that's just low.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Membership Help”