Feature request for Forums

Having a problem with the Forum? Or feedback about the forum? This is the place.
blackrg

Feature request for Forums

Post by blackrg »

I think it would be neat to see all the people floating around here who work for the Church in a technical position tagged as such with the position they work in. I've noticed a number of them that aren't really distinguishable from a normal user other than the comments they post. Would be helpful to look at a post and know whether it's thoughts/comments on direction from someone who's actually in a position to influence it, or if it's thoughts/comments based on someone's observations/experience from the "outside".

Of course, I guess the flip side could be that by failing to identify these people up front, it makes it easier for them to comment on things without people mistaking it for some sort of official statement when perhaps the person posting was just posting their thoughts/feelings at the time instead of a definite course of direction.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

gblack wrote:I think it would be neat to see all the people floating around here who work for the Church in a technical position tagged as such with the position they work in. I've noticed a number of them that aren't really distinguishable from a normal user other than the comments they post. Would be helpful to look at a post and know whether it's thoughts/comments on direction from someone who's actually in a position to influence it, or if it's thoughts/comments based on someone's observations/experience from the "outside".
Yes, I've thought of this before. I want to get some kind of avatar that would designate them as Church employees.
gblack wrote:Of course, I guess the flip side could be that by failing to identify these people up front, it makes it easier for them to comment on things without people mistaking it for some sort of official statement when perhaps the person posting was just posting their thoughts/feelings at the time instead of a definite course of direction.
Yes, I've thought of that as well. I'm writing some policy guidelines for the employees to use so that we all know what we can or cannot say, promise, commit to, etc.

Tom
greenwoodkl

Post by greenwoodkl »

Will there be a way for a Church employee to flag a message as official or personal? I figure they'd want to be able to do both and not be limited to only an official position.
cottrells

Post by cottrells »

kgthunder wrote:Will there be a way for a Church employee to flag a message as official or personal? I figure they'd want to be able to do both and not be limited to only an official position.
I'm sure you will include in the guidelines something to the effect that when there is an official line, that Church employees should always support that line and that only where there is no official view point that they are able to comment on their personal view - making it clear that it is their own private view and not that of the Church.

I would not like to see Church employees publicly expressing personal views which are contrary to the official line. The "forum" for those differing thoughts should only be directed to an internal audience.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

Yes, guidelines will state that when expressing opinions, they should clearly state as such.

Tom

Return to “Help with this forum”