Haunted Houses and Halloween

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
rmbowers

Haunted Houses and Halloween

Post by rmbowers »

I seem to recall a policy or a letter that stated something about not using Chapels and or Church grounds for Haunted Houses.
Can someone remind me where that is please?

Right now, I am being told that the the young men, for a fund raising activity, are planning on creating a spook house outside the Stake Center.
Why... to avoid, the use of a chapel, so they hold it on church property ...just outside the building.

I am pretty sure that this is against Church Policy.
When I asked the Bishop about this, he asked if we could find anything that referred specifically to Church Grounds.

The impression I have right now is the Young Men are trying to find a way to side step a policy.

The only thing I can think of is

Section 13.2.4
Standards …

Activities are not to include anything that is immoral or suggestive or that makes evil appear acceptable and normal. Leaders ensure that any entertainment is in keeping with the teachings of the Savior.

Looking for some help here.

Thanks
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Haunted Houses and Halloween

Post by sbradshaw »

Besides Handbook 2, 13.2.4, which you mentioned, here are some other sections that might apply:
– Handbook 2, 13.6.8 – guidelines for fundraising activities.
– Handbook 2, 13.6.25 – wearing masks.
– Handbook 1, 8.4.2 – decorations: no decorations in the chapel; no decorations on the outside of the meetinghouse or on the grounds (is a "structure" a decoration?).
– Handbook 1, 8.4.6 – no fires or lit candles inside the meetinghouse.

Halloween was never my favorite holiday and I wouldn't personally feel comfortable with a Church-sponsored haunted house. But my opinion is certainly not the only one. Your bishop and/or stake president would be the ones to decide the final interpretation/application of 13.2.4 and the other handbook policies. Hope this helps!
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
austinlowens

Re: Haunted Houses and Halloween

Post by austinlowens »

The post listing where policies were in the handbook was incredibly helpful, thank you.

Return to “General Discussions”