Limit to "other wards"?

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Limit to "other wards"?

Post by russellhltn »

I'm wondering if anyone know if maps has a limit to the number of "other wards" it will display? The reason I ask is that I was doing some testing and found that it only displayed 3 wards (two language and a student single) but left out another language ward that was closer. I checked the missing unit's boundary map in CDOL and it looks OK.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans

Re: Limit to "other wards"?

Post by mevans »

I think the other wards displayed are based on relationships set up on CDOL, not geographic relationships or quantity. I think it's something like "participates with" that leads these other units to be listed when you search in maps.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Well, all of the units in question are part of the same stake. So they all have the same "parent" in CDOL. I could see it if one of the units were from another stake but still had boundaries within ours.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans

Post by mevans »

From my observations, this is what it does: When you enter an address, it shows you the primary residential ward for that location. The other wards shown are wards whose boundaries also cover that location. I don't know how they decide which one is the "primary" ward serving the location. Maybe it's because it's English-speaking and I live in the USA and, therefore, that's the "primary" ward? I don't know how they'd handle countries with multiple official languages? I just did an address in Montreal, Quebec, Canada and the English ward came up as the "primary" ward and the French ward was listed as another ward serving the location, even though English, French, and Spanish wards all met at the same location.

CDOL does show a "participating with" for some of the wards that appear. In looking at my home address, I see one primary residential ward and 6 other wards also covering my location. If I look at all of their boundaries in Maps, I see they all have boundaries covering my location. So I suspect Maps is just looking at a location and finding all objects covering that location and reporting them. If I click on a specific ward, the map changes to that ward and I have the opportunity to see other units meeting at the same location.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I have a theory on how it decides the primary residential ward, but I need to poke around in CDOL a little bit more to see if my theory holds true.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”