VidiU and the Internet

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
lajackson
Community Moderators

VidiU and the Internet

Post by lajackson »

On the VidiU, what is the difference between Access Point (AP) mode and Wi-Fi Client mode?

Besides controlling the VidiU, does either mode allow you to connect through the VidiU to the Internet, if the VidiU is also hard wired to an Ethernet port?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: VidiU and the Internet

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:On the VidiU, what is the difference between Access Point (AP) mode and Wi-Fi Client mode?
It's a wifi setting. In AP mode, it would be easy for you to connect a remote device to it using it's own network. I think Client mode is to allow it to be a client on an existing network (like LDS Access), or maybe even peer-to-peer/ad-hoc mode.

I really doubt if either will allow you to use the device as a AP to connect to the internet.

Personally, I'd probably set it to AP and program something other than LDS Access. (And use a password to keep others from trying to connect.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Tested it today and access point appears to allow you just to connect to it but not to the internet, which is a good thing.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

craiggsmith wrote:Tested it today and access point appears to allow you just to connect to it but not to the internet, which is a good thing.
I had thought it might save me the long Ethernet cable from the audiovisual rack to my laptop. But I was never able to connect to the VidiU using the access point. So I did everything on the wired building network, including VidiU programming and control.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”