Valid email is rejected as invalid

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
andyvanwagoner

Valid email is rejected as invalid

Post by andyvanwagoner »

I've been trying to update my email address on lds.org and familysearch.org, but I get a validation error saying the email address is invalid.

My email address uses the top-level domain of .family, which I'm guessing is what causes the validation to fail.

As more TLDs are being created all the time, I hope the validator can keep up, perhaps validating by sending an email.
kc7smo

Re: Valid email is rejected as invalid

Post by kc7smo »

I am having the same problem. Just setup my new .family domain and emails. and haven't been able to use them with my LDS account. Haven't had any issues anywhere else. Have you received any response from them on this?
andyvanwagoner

Post by andyvanwagoner »

I haven't yet heard anything. I still can't use a .family address.
gblotter

Post by gblotter »

I have the same problem. My TLD is .email and it gets rejected too. I have reported this problem to lds.org many times but my request always gets ignored.

lds.org seems to be very backwards and rigid about recognizing new TLDs. The .email TLD has been around for years but lds.org continues to reject it. Someone help, please!
akhuber

Post by akhuber »

Trying to set up an LDS account, my son gets this problem. The email address is valid. The web page reports that it is invalid even before clicking submit at the bottom of the page. Since it happens so quickly I'm suspecting it's not doing a thorough check but rather there is some error in the validation code associated with the web page. Hopefully someone will get around to looking into this problem soon.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I wonder if changing the email somewhere else would let it pass through? There are a few different places where you can go to edit the email address associated with your LDS Account – LDSAccount.LDS.org, the LDS.org Directory (individual email), LDS Tools app (individual email), or Leader and Clerk Resources (by a clerk).
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
gblotter

Post by gblotter »

After reporting the problem multiple times through proper support channels, I was finally able to get a response (albeit unsatisfactory).

"If you have tried adding your email address properly and have still encountered the error you described, there is unfortunately nothing we can do at this time. The best work-around would be to attach an email address with a more common domain name."

What I think is happening: I suspect lds.org relies on a third party single-signon (SSO) solution which they don't control. Rather than wield their influence with the third party to make these long-overdue TLD changes, the lds.org support folks are just throwing up their hands.
Todd.Burgess

Post by Todd.Burgess »

I would like to add my voice to this issue. It isn't convenient to juggle multiple email addresses. I already have 6 which is 5 more than I want, but this appears to be a problem that affects a fairly small group of people. Hopefully as people get different domains for email, this will be addressed.
Todd.Burgess

Post by Todd.Burgess »

sbradshaw wrote:I wonder if changing the email somewhere else would let it pass through? There are a few different places where you can go to edit the email address associated with your LDS Account – LDSAccount.LDS.org, the LDS.org Directory (individual email), LDS Tools app (individual email), or Leader and Clerk Resources (by a clerk).
I am a clerk, and I can't use a non-common TLD based email address when editing my own account contact settings. This is the email address used for communication from the church which is the primary place I want to change it. It seems possible to set an email address using a non-common TLD in the email field for a record.

Return to “Church Account”