VidiU App

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
lajackson
Community Moderators

VidiU App

Post by lajackson »

I can't find the VidiU App in the Android Play Store, referenced in the next to last paragraph of this Help Center instruction. Is it gone? Is it hiding under a different name? Is it worth using if I find it?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: VidiU App

Post by russellhltn »

"the Android app has been discontinued and is no longer available in the Google Play store."

link

You might want to send feedback indicating the outdated info. I would, but my computer isn't responding to "mailto".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:You might want to send feedback indicating the outdated info.
I'm on it. Thanks. I was just coming back here to answer my own question.

[Edit: And now the report is sent.]
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

I hope the app I still have installed works ...
Craig
South Jordan, UT
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

craiggsmith wrote:I hope the app I still have installed works ...
Good luck with that. I was looking into it because when I use my laptop to control the VidiU, the video portion does not work. I cannot see or hear what is streaming out of the VidiU to the rest of the world.

I can control the other VidiU settings just fine, and the snapshot feature finally started to give me a screenshot every 10 to 15 seconds. But it would be nice to see the whole thing and not have to wait for the delay to come back a minute later when it is too late to fix things.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

The android app still works fine to adjust the settings etc. If you make a change via the web or on the unit itself it doesn't stay in sync though like the ios app does.

I think it odd that the web interface doesn't show real-time video.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

craiggsmith wrote:I think it odd that the web interface doesn't show real-time video.
I think it should, and I am guessing that it is a communication problem between the web interface and my laptop. When I select the video and tell it to start, I just get the spinning circle as it is trying to load. Something on my laptop is probably blocking it, or maybe a codec is missing or whatever. Obviously something is not right.

But I had bigger fish to fry to get the broadcast ready for yesterday and did not have time to troubleshoot it. I was able to operate without it for our conference.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

The MHTech documentation mentions that an advantage of the app over the web interface is that you get real-time video, so I don't think it's just your laptop or connection.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

craiggsmith wrote:The MHTech documentation mentions that an advantage of the app over the web interface is that you get real-time video, so I don't think it's just your laptop or connection.
At the main web interface page, there is an option to select "Shapshot" or "(I don't remember)" that implies it is the actual stream being sent. When I press the "I don't remember what it is called" button, it acts as if it is preparing to stream video, but the spinner spins and it never does.

The Snapshot function gives me an outgoing picture that updates about every 10-15 seconds. That is the quickest way I could see what was being sent when I was not physically at the audiovisual rack (another story, thank you Church architects). At the rack, I can see the actual camera shot, and I can also plug earphones into the VidiU to listen to the outgoing audio.

Back at my location away from the rack, I had the complete video and audio from the stream coming back on what was normally about a 35-second delay.

I remember reading at MHTech that the app gave real-time video, and that's why I tried to get it. (Although it still seems to work if you already had it, the app is no longer available at the Android Play Store.) But the web interface certainly appeared to offer something similar as I looked at the page there. Sadly, the MHTech documentation is actually a little bit better than the Teradek VidiU documentation in most areas that count for our application.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”