Accessing ASA 5055 Cisco with wireless.

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
terrellthomas

Accessing ASA 5055 Cisco with wireless.

Post by terrellthomas »

:confused: I have a strange problem! My networked has 3 unit computers the first two connect by wire and are in the same wing of the building. The third I set up wireless to reach across two fowers and the chapel. I get connected using the wireless and receive a IP address from the cisco router. But cannot ping the cisco or attach to any internet sites. Can anybody tell me if the cisco will block internal wireless network? I have a netgear Access Point / Bridge wired to the cisco it connect to a second netgear Access Point / Bridge wirelessly. I get excelent to very good signal strength connect to the PC. But as I said earlier I cannot connect to anything???
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

I surmise your wireless network configuration is as follows. One Netgear wireless access point is connected to the Cisco ASA router and is setup and acting as the 'root' WAP. The second Netgear WAP is on the other side of the building acting as a 'repeater' WAP for the clerk computer. Is this correct?

Based on your description of the WAP I went to Netgear's web site to see what they had for WAP/Bridge hardware. I only found one model and is WNHDE111. Is this the model you have? The specifications for that model do not mention the capability to function as a root WAP or a repeater WAP. Based on that you may have a return signal strength issue that prevents out and back connectivity because the remote WAP is doing nothing for the network.

I tried to get a picture of your wireless network with the little information you provided. If you can provide some more specifics about your setup, hardware, and configuration then we may be able to spot the difficulty.

You might also run ipconfig on the clerk computer to see if it is being assigned an IP address and it is seeing the gateway. Let us know what you find there.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
terrellthomas

Post by terrellthomas »

:rolleyes: Your assumption and investiagation work is right. I have done a Ipconfig on the clerks computer and we do have a dhcp address from the ASA router. That would have require two way communication. I also took cat 5 cable and connect direct to the WNHDE111 with same results as the wireless. I have now put the WNHDE111 side by side in same room as the ASA and get the same result on my laptop. I have the same setup in another Chapel and it works fine. The only exception was it had a PIX router instead of the ASA router.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

terrellthomas wrote::rolleyes: Your assumption and investiagation work is right. I have done a Ipconfig on the clerks computer and we do have a dhcp address from the ASA router. That would have require two way communication. I also took cat 5 cable and connect direct to the WNHDE111 with same results as the wireless. I have now put the WNHDE111 side by side in same room as the ASA and get the same result on my laptop. I have the same setup in another Chapel and it works fine. The only exception was it had a PIX router instead of the ASA router.
When you ran ipconfig did you get a gateway address? If so, your best answers may come from calling GSD and talking to a second level technician. Since you do not have access to the ASA configuration it is difficult to see where the problem lies. The GSD technician can go through the settings.

Before you do this you do need to make sure your WAPs are properly configured for their roles in the network. It may sound repetitive and unnecessary but if there is only one security setting in only one device that is not the same as all other devices then you will never get a connection.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Another thing to look for is the IP address of the WAPs themselves. If they happen to be fixed in the DHCP range of the ASA, then there's a possibility of a conflict. If you take the IP address of your ASA, the next 5 addresses are skipped by the ASA's DHCP server and are the best choice for WAPs, printers, etc.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
terrellthomas

Static IP Address

Post by terrellthomas »

:) Had to set static IP in all hardware from PCs to network equipment.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

terrellthomas wrote::) Had to set static IP in all hardware from PCs to network equipment.
I can understand the network gear, but not the PC's. Just curious, how many fixed addresses did you have to set?
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”