Finance: Can't merge to Out of Unit participant

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
mfmohlma

Finance: Can't merge to Out of Unit participant

Post by mfmohlma »

Using the new functionality on LCR, I can't seem to merge a 'Nonmember' participant record with an 'Out of Unit' participant. We have grandparents that are donating to missionary grandchildren now using the online donation tool. We have some older (mailed) donations that were credited to another participant entry not connected with their member record. Every time I try to use the "Merge" function to merge with their Out of Unit member participant entry, I get the following error:

Something went wrong
The system was not able to perform the merge. Please try again later.

Merges with member records in the ward work fine. Merging these records is critical so that the donor records seen by the donors in the online system are correct.

Anyone else seeing this?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Finance: Can't merge to Out of Unit participant

Post by russellhltn »

Worse come to worst, how hard would it be to re-assign the donations to the correct person, leaving the 'nonmember' with nothing?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

That was my workaround for a few donations, but for each one we have to print out and file a "change form" for the auditor. I stopped after 3 or so and filed a feedback on this issue (and posted here).
jasonmbray

Post by jasonmbray »

I am having the same problem, and I don't really understand why this action is blocked by both MLS and LCR when it should be very straightforward. I have the identical situation, with out of unit grandparents donating to a missionary fund where we just recently obtained the membership number. They are asking for a tax-valid statement for last year's donations, which I will gladly provide, but I know that if we had had the membership number linked to their donations originally, they would all be rolled up automatically in the statement they get from their own ward clerk.

At first I tried to edit the existing "nonmember" donor record and change the type to "out of unit member", but LCR does not offer this option. In MLS the field to change donor type shows up but the out of unit member option is grayed out and can't be selected. Then I decided to create a new out of unit member donor with the membership number included so I could then go back and merge the old donor with the new one. But once again I was foiled in the attempt.

I could edit the individual donations one by one as was suggested, but there are a lot of them each with additional paperwork to file, and merging donors seems like a much more elegant solution.

I plan on contacting the support hotline to see if they can do the merge from Salt Lake, but it seems like an unnecessary step to go through for such a common scenario. Am I missing anything obvious?
jasonmbray

Post by jasonmbray »

I just wanted to post a follow-up. I was able to call the help line in Salt Lake and provide the two donor records needing to be merged, and they had no problem merging them in their system for me. No explanation for why we can't merge to out of unit members in LCR, but at least it is straightforward to have it corrected.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”