Ratify Melchizedek Priesthood ordination if member moved?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
bhfletcher

Ratify Melchizedek Priesthood ordination if member moved?

Post by bhfletcher »

According to Handbook 1, Section 16.7.1:<quote removed - discusses the ratification of Melchizedek Priesthood ordinations in stake conference or stake general priesthood meeting.>

What if the brother moves to a different stake between ordination and the next stake conference or stake general priesthood meeting? Do we ratify the ordination of members who have since moved out of the stake? Do we ratify the ordination of members who were ordained outside of our stake within the last few months but then moved into our stake?

I have generated a report as shown in topic Melchizedek Priesthood Ordination Reports
https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... tom+report

However, that report then excludes those who have recently moved out of our stake, and it also includes recently ordained members who moved into our stake. Which ones do I include in the list to have their ordinations ratified?

Thanks,
Bryan
Last edited by jdlessley on Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed quote
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Ratify Melchizedek Priesthood ordination if member moved?

Post by lajackson »

bhfletcher wrote:What if the brother moves to a different stake between ordination and the next stake conference or stake general priesthood meeting? Do we ratify the ordination of members who have since moved out of the stake? Do we ratify the ordination of members who were ordained outside of our stake within the last few months but then moved into our stake?
If our stake performed the ordination and it needs ratification, we ratify it. If someone moves into our stake already ordained, we do not ratify it. The stake where he was ordained should, but we do not worry about it.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Ratify Melchizedek Priesthood ordination if member moved?

Post by russellhltn »

I think to keep things clean, I'd go ahead and ratify him in your stake. I don't know the doctrinal reason for ratification, but I've always viewed it as a way for the membership to object and make leaders aware of any issues with this member. The new stake wouldn't know him, but the old one would.

While it would be difficult, it's still possible to make the new stake aware of any serious issues.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Membership Help”