Syncing only a portion of the calendar?

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
sapg

Syncing only a portion of the calendar?

Post by sapg »

My ward/stake calendar is pretty full. When on LDS.org, I have selected from the column on the left exactly what I want to see-this is a great feature. This makes scheduling for YW very convenient, easy, and eliminates the need for each presidency member to enter the info on independent calendars. The problem we are having is that when syncing the calendar to our phones, we are getting the entire stake/building/ward calendar. Is there a way to pick and choose what is synced? Thank you in advance.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Syncing only a portion of the calendar?

Post by sbradshaw »

All calendars that you're subscribed to will sync to your device. You can unsubscribe from (or subscribe to) a calendar by clicking the >> button towards the top of the left panel on the LDS.org Calendar, or by going to Edit > Subscriptions in the LDS Tools app, then checking or unchecking the subscription checkboxes.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sapg wrote:The problem we are having is that when syncing the calendar to our phones, we are getting the entire stake/building/ward calendar.
Nit-pick. You are getting the entire ward/stake calendar. You can't get the building calendar via sync.

As stated, you can unsubscribe to remove those calendars from the sync (which will also remove them from the list of calendars to display).
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sapg

Post by sapg »

Thank you very kindly for your reply. (Don't mean to nit pick, whatever that meant.)

I believe I had done everything you suggested but still have the same problem. I have unchecked everything on the left except Young Women. I have unsubscribed to everything but Young Women under subscriptions. I deleted the previous link in my Google calendar, I have logged out and back in again on my lds account and google account. Copied the given link from lds.org to my google calendar, but I'm still getting things on my google calendar like another building in my stake is getting their carpet cleaned and another ward is having scouts at another building.

What am I missing here?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sapg wrote:Thank you very kindly for your reply. (Don't mean to nit pick, whatever that meant.)
I was nit-picking. It's a phrase that means to be critical of minor details.
sapg wrote:I have unchecked everything on the left except Young Women.
Just to be clear, unchecking things only affects the web page. It has no effect on the sync. For that, you have to use the subscription slider.

sapg wrote:What am I missing here?
What you're missing is that Google caches the information from the link. When you deleted it and added it back in, Google pulled the data from it's cache and did not go and get current information.

You have two choices: Wait up to 24 hours for Google to get around to checking that URL for a update, or use the "Generate new sync URLs" button on the calendar sync page to create a new URL. When you put the new URL into Google, it will then be forced to read it immediately.

I should add that going forward, Google will retrieve new information about once a day. There's no way to change it. In addition, your phone takes time to pull in changes from your Google calendar. I think the worst case situation is that your phone's calendar could be up to 48 hours out of date. But in practice, it's far better then that. Maybe a day or so.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sapg

Post by sapg »

Thank you so much! I will give this a try.

Return to “Calendar”