Contacted by a technical recruiter

Interested in working for the Church? Ask questions and discuss opportunities with recruiters here.
jfaldmo-p40

Contacted by a technical recruiter

Post by jfaldmo-p40 »

I am in contact with a technical recruiter from a recruiting company. One of the job openings he listed was with the Church. As I am interested in working for the Church I was wondering if there are particular recruiting companies the church works with and if using such a company is the best way to go.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

jfaldmo wrote:I am in contact with a technical recruiter from a recruiting company. One of the job openings he listed was with the Church. As I am interested in working for the Church I was wondering if there are particular recruiting companies the church works with and if using such a company is the best way to go.
Using recruiting companies can have both postive and negative effects from what I've seen. Some companies appreciate the leg-work recruiting companies do. However, it can be costly, as I believe for every resume they bring to the company's door and it results in an interview, they make a lot of money off of the company.

Just a personal observation...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It's been many years since I've hit the pavement, but I think it depend on the relationship between the recruiter and the company. If the company "outsources" the process to the recruiter, then it's probably a good thing to apply to the recruiter. But if the recruiter is approaching companies with job openings, then I think there's some reluctance. You'd have to be more qualified then the "direct" candidates to justify the recruiter's fee.

If someone wants to work for the church, I'd recommend applying directly. A quick google turns up this link: http://www.lds.org/emp
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

jfaldmo wrote:I am in contact with a technical recruiter from a recruiting company. One of the job openings he listed was with the Church. As I am interested in working for the Church I was wondering if there are particular recruiting companies the church works with and if using such a company is the best way to go.
I know that the Church has full time recruiters so their use of external recruiters would be fairly limited. Maybe Cassie knows as she originally came from HR?

Tom
LakeyTW

Post by LakeyTW »

tomw wrote:I know that the Church has full time recruiters so their use of external recruiters would be fairly limited. Maybe Cassie knows as she originally came from HR?

Tom
The Church often uses external recruiters for hard to fill positions. As a hiring manager, I do not differentiate between those who apply directly and those who come through a recruiter.
dlongmore

You find a variety of experiences

Post by dlongmore »

There is always more than one way to skin a cat. I think you will find that it varies. I personally came through an external recruiter. The reason for me was that is the avenue I have been using over the past 15 years as a contract developer. So I would say use what will work for you.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lakeytw wrote:The Church often uses external recruiters for hard to fill positions.
Which would suggest to me that the decision for the individual might be based on their skill set. If it's a common skill set, then they may be better off going direct. If it's a hard to fill position, then a recruiter may be better.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
LakeyTW

Post by LakeyTW »

RussellHltn wrote:Which would suggest to me that the decision for the individual might be based on their skill set. If it's a common skill set, then they may be better off going direct. If it's a hard to fill position, then a recruiter may be better.
Honestly, the best way to apply for a position is by having a current profile online with the Church. When new positions are created, existing profiles are matched up with the position. If you were to rely only on a recruiter hearing about a position, you would be missing out on many opportunities. I typically use recruiters as well, but only because I know the size of the pool of qualified applicants is quite small for the positions I am hiring for.
McDanielCA

Post by McDanielCA »

Yes, the same positions that contracting companies are recruiting for are always posted on lds.org/jobs.

Although the recruiting companies do serve the purpose of finding people for hard-to-fill positions, you can also get just as good results by applying directly to us. As Tom suggested, keep your profile up to date. All of these go into a system and it is routinely searched to find the best candidates that are already in our databases.

Return to “Technical Recruiting”