Manage Out-of-Unit Members and Move Restrictions

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
holmsro

Manage Out-of-Unit Members and Move Restrictions

Post by holmsro »

Recently the Manage Out-of-Unit Members feature was added to LCR. The page says, "Manage Out-of-Unit Members allows a unit to request and access limited membership information for those whose membership records are not assigned to the ward, but attend regularly because of a leadership assignment in the unit or a family situation."

I just tried to see if I we could see the records of children who split there time between divorced parent homes, but whose records are not in our ward. I got the (error) message that these records have a move restriction (which is very appropriate). However, I would think that this is the perfect use case for this feature. The childrens' records should remain with the designated parent's record, but could be partially visible in the other parent's unit.

Could you help me understand what is happening here?

Thank you so much for the wonderful tools in LCR!
eblood66

Re: Manage Out-of-Unit Members and Move Restrictions

Post by eblood66 »

The help center article on Move Restrictions indicates that they should be used in cases of unresolved disciplinary actions or welfare abuse. It seems unlikely that that would be the case for several children of the same family. I would suggest contacting the other bishop to find out why there is a move restriction. Perhaps they put a move restriction on the entire household rather than just the parent. If so, you could ask for them to remove the restriction on the children so that you can add them as out-of-unit members.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

There's a possibility that the other ward has experienced a tug-of-war with the records of children of a divorce. They may not be aware that is causing a problem with you using the out-of-unit function to share the records. (I've not heard of it before.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Out-of-unit records should not involve moving the member's records, so as far as I know, move restrictions should not apply. An out-of-unit record is a temporary membership record you create that links to the "real" record in another ward.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

It is possible it is a bug and the OP may want to submit feedback asking about that. But it's also possible that out-of-unit records are disallowed when there is a move restriction because the person may have disciplinary issues that may preclude them serving as in an out-of-unit calling. Hopefully scgallafent will jump in and clarify if this is purposeful or a bug.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

My guess is that it is a restriction because the individual is a child.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

There is no restriction on adding out-of-unit members because they are child. That is a specific use case for this functionality.

Without knowing the specific situation, russellhltn's example of issues with records being moved after a divorce seems like the most likely case where a bishop would have a move restriction added to a child's record.

I'm going to hand it off to the product manager to review. Right now, it smells like a requirement that needs to be clarified.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

scgallafent wrote:I'm going to hand it off to the product manager to review. Right now, it smells like a requirement that needs to be clarified.
Thanks!
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bcallenger

Post by bcallenger »

Want to move out of this ward Missionaries that have finished the mission
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bcallenger wrote:Want to move out of this ward Missionaries that have finished the mission
Can you give a little more detail? Generally, the records for missionaries, especially the proselyting ones remain in their home ward. It's possible that an out of unit record was created for them. In that case, it should be easy to delete them from LCR.

If you're talking about under the missionary section of the ward directory, that's handled by the mission office.

Return to “Membership Help”