Reimbursement advance

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
rwfuentes

Reimbursement advance

Post by rwfuentes »

I processed an advance reimbursement for a family home evening event and gave the check to our FHE coordinator to pay for pizza. I inadvertently made the check for $5.00 more than the cost. When the member picked up the pizza they refunded the $5.00 in cash. Now I have a five dollar bill that needs to go back into the account. What is the right way to handle this?
eblood66

Re: Reimbursement advance

Post by eblood66 »

Fill out a donation slip and write "Budget Return" in the Other section with the name of the person who received the advance check. Then include the $5 in a donation batch and credit it to the budget category where it came from. Refunds and return of excess from an advance are two exceptions to the general policy that donations cannot be made to the budget category. Since the 'donation' is to a budget category it will not be treated as a charitable donation and it won't show up on their year-end tax statement.
rwfuentes

Post by rwfuentes »

Got it, thanks so much for the quick response!
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Just a little nitpick that I run into a lot in my YSA stake. I'm assuming you're talking about a home evening event, rather than a family home evening event. See Handbook 2, 16.3.5 – "These groups are not referred to as families." Family home evening or FHE is an easy/common misnomer, but I think there's something to be learned in the vocabulary we use, about the sacred nature of the family – which is needed now more than ever before.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”