AOL rejecting email from "Send a message"

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
dkarbuckle

AOL rejecting email from "Send a message"

Post by dkarbuckle »

I'm currently serving as the stake executive secretary and frequently use the "Send a message" application in the LCR tools. I have noticed recently, that all of the AOL based addresses are rejecting my email from this app. I saw there was a discussion with this issue about a year ago, but there didn't seem to be resolution to this problem. BTW, my personal email address is with Yahoo.

Any idea how to resolve this issue?

This is the message that AOL bounces back (actual email address was removed)...

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<xxxxxxxxxx@aol.com>
(reason: 521 5.2.1 : AOL will not accept delivery of this message.)

----- Transcript of session follows -----
... while talking to mailin-04.mx.aol.com.:
>>> DATA
<<< 521 5.2.1 : AOL will not accept delivery of this message.
554 5.5.0 Remote protocol error
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: AOL rejecting email from "Send a message"

Post by scgallafent »

This is a different issue than the one that was occurring a year ago. We have made some changes to "send a message" that we hope will help with these. They will be released with the next update to LCR.
dkarbuckle

Post by dkarbuckle »

scgallafent wrote:This is a different issue than the one that was occurring a year ago. We have made some changes to "send a message" that we hope will help with these. They will be released with the next update to LCR.
Thanks for the quick reply and information. Do you have any idea of when this new update will be posted?
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

dkarbuckle wrote:
scgallafent wrote:This is a different issue than the one that was occurring a year ago. We have made some changes to "send a message" that we hope will help with these. They will be released with the next update to LCR.
Thanks for the quick reply and information. Do you have any idea of when this new update will be posted?
I am having the same problem, so I contacted some of the aol users to see if they had an alternate email address. The two I contacted said they had been receiving the newsletter with their aol address. I'm going to contact more of them to see if they are also receiving the newsletter, even though I get the "returned mail" message.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

dkarbuckle wrote:
Not that can be announced.
dkarbuckle

Post by dkarbuckle »

scgallafent wrote:Not that can be announced.
The reason for my inquiry on the timing is that I was debating whether to ask these individuals to use another email address. If this fix was going to be available soon, then I wasn't going to worry about it...but if this is going to be a while, then I might want to ask them to change their email address.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

dkarbuckle wrote:I might want to ask them to change their email address.
You might ask, but if you asked me I would politely say no, I have no interest in changing my email address.

I realize that places the responsibility on you to send a standards compliant email, and I further realize that, as an individual, you have no control over how the Church handles their system. I know that puts you in a bind.

But changing my email address puts me in a bind, too, and it would not be worth the effort for me to do so.

As a leader, I have had to make arrangements to send emails to members who do not have email addresses recorded on their membership records. If I want them to receive the message by email, I accommodate them. They don't get every email, of course, but that is what they want anyway. They know they will only get the most important ones, and they are fine with that.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

dkarbuckle wrote:
The reason for my inquiry on the timing is that I was debating whether to ask these individuals to use another email address. If this fix was going to be available soon, then I wasn't going to worry about it...but if this is going to be a while, then I might want to ask them to change their email address.
I would not ask them to use another email address. The change has already been made -- it just needs to work its way through the release cycle.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

scgallafent wrote:
dkarbuckle wrote:
I would not ask them to use another email address. The change has already been made -- it just needs to work its way through the release cycle.
I would guess it hasn't made it through the release cycle... All of my aol addresses were returned today.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

zaneclark wrote: I would guess it hasn't made it through the release cycle... All of my aol addresses were returned today.
It hasn't. To save you the trouble of checking every day, it takes a few weeks for changes like this to get out into production.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”