Export Data and Reports to CVS/XLS

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
mphock

Export Data and Reports to CVS/XLS

Post by mphock »

Until a recent MLS update, I could export member data to a .cvs file and then import it into Excel. Now I can't find a way to do that. That functionality was extremely useful because you could select specific fields in Excel on which to perform analysis, create mail merge files, etc. Ideally, export functionality would be available in LCR, but not having it at all really limits what you can do. It would really help if all reports could be exported to Excel.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Export Data and Reports to CVS/XLS

Post by russellhltn »

Since it was deliberately removed from MLS "to better ensure that membership data is kept secure", I wouldn't get my hopes up.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
pbhanney

Post by pbhanney »

If you go to maps.lds.org there is a download button there where you can download the ward directory with a lot of information.
thebundok

Post by thebundok »

I know this is old, but if you have Acrobat Pro (maybe just the regular version too) you can Print your lists to PDF and then inside Acrobat export to XLS. Works almost flawlessly.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Windows 10, as well as Chrome also allow you to print to PDF. So I don't need our old friend CutePDF anymore.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
mjkenning

Post by mjkenning »

Just wanted to add my voice to this discussion. As a Stake Clerk, I'm often asked to make reports with lists of members in certain callings that include more information than the fields included in a PDF print from LCR. I'd love to have the print dialog allow me to customize the output of the report or the options drop-down to include a fields chooser.

For example, none of the organization lists include email addresses. This means I have to print the PDF, export to Excel, create a new column in the spreadsheet and then manually add the email addresses.

There are also times when the presidency needs to have a list of members that includes their current calling, which would be done via the "member list" screen, but does not include that information. It takes many clicks to find each member, then click calling and, copy & paste the calling name into Excel for each member. That's after the print/export process.

Are there any plans to expand the functionality of the LCR tool to streamline the process needed to generate these kinds of custom lists?

Thank you,
Michael Kenning
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

mjkenning wrote:Are there any plans to expand the functionality of the LCR tool to streamline the process needed to generate these kinds of custom lists?
The product manager for LCR has indicated that support for custom reports is on the roadmap but it's still a ways off. See this post.
mjkenning

Post by mjkenning »

Thanks for the reply, eblood66! Looks like the roadmap includes a 4.0 product sometime Q4 '16/Q1 '17 with a cleanup effort that includes custom reports sometime after that. Guess I'll just get used to the manual method for the time being. ;)
krhinkey

Post by krhinkey »

I would like to post the extreme frustration that this causes. We used the export feature to maintain an excel data base to keep the member records current. As the Ward Clerk I review the list quarterly and meet with the RS President and High Priest GL to review and make notes. We have column we use for action items. If we know the member is in the ward then we can filter those out. If we are not sure we have a list of people we need to visit and track down. If we have visited and confirmed they are no longer at this address we tag them for the 7 step follow up and have an assistant to maintain them.

Using excel it was relatively painless to keep notes and keep the file updated. Now that we don't have that capability it has become so difficult its just not worth it. I would say our ability to minister has been greatly reduced. reading here I see that their may be some work around using acrobat pro. It just seems that once again we are limited with tools, not informed that change is coming and have no other plan to move to. The feature was already restricted to Bishopric and clerk. I don't see that we are much safer from a confidential aspect, I can still print and email I just can use excel to manipulate the data. Is there some kind of feedback forum that we can use to let folks know that this feature was used for ministering and is VERY much missed.

I just don't have time to deal with work around and alternative methods to get done what we need to. If I cant figure out the PDF conversion I just wont provide the data anymore. Its too much work and its a "self inflicted wound".
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

krhinkey wrote:Is there some kind of feedback forum that we can use to let folks know that this feature was used for ministering and is VERY much missed.
There are two ways of returning information to the developers. The first is to use the Feedback link on most pages at LDS.org where your comments will be given to the program developers. The second is to raise the issue with your priesthood leaders. The stake president is able to forward information, needs, and requests to the area presidency or Presidency of the Seventy, who will coordinate with their priesthood leaders who make the decision on what capabilities will be and will not be included. The developers take their priorities and instructions from them.

As an aside, I understand that many folks used export capabilities while they were available, and came to know and rely on that function. My own personal experience since the advent of MIS/FIS, MLS, and now LCR in the electronic age, is that I am able to recall using the export function only two or three times over the decades. Yet I still believe I was able to perform my callings efficiently and well using available processes and reports that were every bit as efficient as anything I might have done starting with an export file, other than the two or three exceptions I mentioned.

I regularly sit in meetings with leaders having my same calling who live and die by the export function. I have no trouble at all without it. It makes for an interesting discussion from time to time, and each person's experience is different.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”