Tithing Settlement

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Tithing Settlement

Post by lajackson »

The new tithing settlement instructions are at the Official Communication Library for this year. There are some significant and interesting changes.

The requirement for the clerk to print out all of the donor statements one week prior to the beginning of tithing settlement is still there. But if you go into the Help Center under Tithing Settlement, there is an interesting note. If a member . . . has chosen to print his or her own statements from lds.org/donations, a Donor Statement of Contributions will not be included in the pre-generated statement link.

So this year I do not need to tell my clerk not to print my statement. If I print it first, he will not get it to print. I like that.

I like the other changes, too.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Tithing Settlement

Post by lajackson »

lajackson wrote:So this year I do not need to tell my clerk not to print my statement.
I just noticed something interesting in the Online Donations Settings. I don't know if it has been there or if it was just added during the upgrade last night.

There is a check box option that says "My financial statements do not need to be printed by my Ward."

I checked the box. It will be interesting to see what happens.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Great news! I just went in and checked the box as well.

Do you think "a member . . . has chosen to print his or her own statements" is triggered by the member printing any statement (for example, last year's statement), or by the member printing the current year statement, or simply by checking that box in settings? Or any combination of the above?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Also, another letter from a few days previous indicates that donation history will be available outside the United States (the letter was directed to leaders outside the U.S.) through the LDS.org Donations tool, by October 1st. It's not clear if the full Donations tool will be available outside the United States, but at least the history and reports for their donations will be!
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

sbradshaw wrote:Great news! I just went in and checked the box as well.

Do you think "a member . . . has chosen to print his or her own statements" is triggered by the member printing any statement (for example, last year's statement), or by the member printing the current year statement, or simply by checking that box in settings? Or any combination of the above?
I tried to print my YTD statement and that didn't set the option. I didn't try printing last year's tax statement.
Schetselaar

Post by Schetselaar »

The file under "Pre-Generated Donor Statements" for my ward is a statement from 2015, instead of the current (2016) year. Also, when trying to generate a statement under the "Individual Donor Statements" section, the files include members that have not made any donations. Anyone else with the same issues?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Schetselaar wrote:The file under "Pre-Generated Donor Statements" for my ward is a statement from 2015, instead of the current (2016) year.
2016 won't be available until after 15 October.
Schetselaar wrote:Also, when trying to generate a statement under the "Individual Donor Statements" section, the files include members that have not made any donations.
Donor reports for everyone, including those who have not made any donations, need to be made available to members so they can either confirm the record is complete or to identify any possible errors.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

jdlessley wrote: 2016 won't be available until after 15 October.
I hope it's sooner than that. We have to pass our the statements the week before tithing settlement. What if we want to start it right on the 16th?
jdlessley wrote: Donor reports for everyone, including those who have not made any donations, need to be made available to members so they can either confirm the record is complete or to identify any possible errors.
I hope not. That would be an enormous amount of "blank" statements to hand out for me.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

mfmohlma wrote:
jdlessley wrote: Donor reports for everyone, including those who have not made any donations, need to be made available to members so they can either confirm the record is complete or to identify any possible errors.
I hope not. That would be an enormous amount of "blank" statements to hand out for me.
It appears from the instructions that members with no contributions will not have statements included in the pre-generated statement link as well as those who have chosen to print their own statements.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

mfmohlma wrote:
jdlessley wrote: 2016 won't be available until after 15 October.
I hope it's sooner than that. We have to pass our the statements the week before tithing settlement. What if we want to start it right on the 16th?
We usually hand out tithing statements as people come in for interviews, and they can review it as they wait. If you do that, it may be helpful to set their appointment time to 15 minutes before they actually go in to see the bishop.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”