Set up separate email for FamilySearch website

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
lindanewville

Set up separate email for FamilySearch website

Post by lindanewville »

I need to find a way to get FamilySearch to send email to a different email address than the lds account. I had it all set up, but then the website merged email addresses. I lose messages if they are in the wrong accounts -- that's why I had them separate!
Does anyone know how to get FamilySearch to display a different email address so I have have things back the way they were? I'm getting very frustrated.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Set up separate email for FamilySearch website

Post by aebrown »

LindaNewville wrote:I need to find a way to get FamilySearch to send email to a different email address than the lds account. I had it all set up, but then the website merged email addresses. I lose messages if they are in the wrong accounts -- that's why I had them separate!
Does anyone know how to get FamilySearch to display a different email address so I have have things back the way they were? I'm getting very frustrated.
The FamilySearch account IS the LDS Account. There was a time in the past that they were completely separate, and then for a while they were separate but synchronized certain elements. But now they are the same account -- changing something in LDS Account is immediately reflected in the FamilySearch account and vice versa.

Your only way to have FamilySearch use a different email address is to have a separate FamilySearch account -- but since only one LDS Account can be linked to your LDS Church membership, that workaround would only be practical if you're happy being a nonmember on FamilySearch. That would mean that you can't see or do anything with temple ordinances, which would be intolerable for most members.

So as far as I know, you're out of luck if you want to have a different email address for different sites. It's not really any different from if you wanted one email address for Calendar and another for the Directory -- that's not allowed, either, since you use the same LDS Account to access both of those tools.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

It doesn't solve the problem exactly, but a workaround would be to set up filters or rules in your inbox that automatically categorize messages to a given folder based on the sender or the subject. Depending on your email program, you may also be able to set up a rule that forwards messages to another email address based on the sender or the subject.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
mogvaj

Post by mogvaj »

How do we get this request to be seriously considered and then implemented?

The problem with workarounds (i.e., filters) is that they do not effectively do what is needed. In this case, the E-mail address used by "Leadership" through LDS.org seems to be used quite liberally to send reminders of cub scout meetings, priesthood leadership meetings, stake cookouts, etc., despite any markings I apply through LDS.org to limit that. In addition, I've seen E-mails sent out with dozens of addresses in the TO: line, exposing those addresses to all recipients, who may or may not have adequate security controls in place on their own clients.

Here is my use-case: I do *not* want my phone to notify me of E-mails sent via LDS.org (I can see those when I get home). I *do* want my phone to notify me if someone wants to contact me via the address I expose via FamilySearch.org. While that ability was present and worked perfectly prior to LDS.org/FamilySearch.org consolidation onto the LDS account repository, right now, I can't make those separate and distinct addresses.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mogvaj wrote:How do we get this request to be seriously considered and then implemented?
Use the Feedback link on the lds.org website. If there's one in FamilySearch, you may want to use that as well.

mogvaj wrote:In this case, the E-mail address used by "Leadership" through LDS.org seems to be used quite liberally to send reminders of cub scout meetings, priesthood leadership meetings, stake cookouts, etc., despite any markings I apply through LDS.org to limit that. In addition, I've seen E-mails sent out with dozens of addresses in the TO: line, exposing those addresses to all recipients, who may or may not have adequate security controls in place on their own clients.
Assuming you've set the settings in Calendar correctly, you need to take this up with your local leaders and how they're using email.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mogvaj wrote:How do we get this request to be seriously considered and then implemented?
You can get it considered by submitting feedback on FamilySearch.org (there's a Feedback link at the bottom of each page). They appreciate hearing user requests.

Whether your suggestion is implemented or not would depend on a variety of factors. The product managers have to balance all sorts of factors, including a variety of use cases, consistency, usability, cost, and priority relative to other features.
lewisl1

Post by lewisl1 »

I had the same problem, I know this is a old post. Just found out that they merged LDS tools and family search. I thought it was strange someone had my email I didn’t give them. It was the email from family search. It’s only been used for family search. Family search allows people to contact you with questions or concerns about family trees. I didn’t want people having my real email I use for family and work. I was able download the LDS tools APP then went and changed the email to a different email. I checked Family search and it stayed the same. I was just going to delete the email from LDS tools then thought I could be nice gave the LDS tools the email I
actually use.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lewisl1 wrote:Just found out that they merged LDS tools and family search.
They are separate apps. I think what you mean is the accounts/logins are the same.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

lewisl1 wrote:Family search allows people to contact you with questions or concerns about family trees. I didn’t want people having my real email I use for family and work.
I think FamilySearch hides your email address from other users. When they send a message to you through familySearch, they only see your displayed username and FamilySearch notifies you via your email in the background. At least that is what it looks like to me when I have received (or sent) messages within FamilySearch.

Return to “Church Account”