Can't access Home and visiting teaching list on my app

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Member Tools Application.
lesliedawn

Can't access Home and visiting teaching list on my app

Post by lesliedawn »

I'm accessing LDS Tools on my iphone and for some reason I can't see my visiting and home teaching assignments, and I can't see anyone else's. Please can still see mine though. I can't see any settings that might relate to it either. Please help, this will be super helpful for my calling as compassionate service coordinator.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Can't access Home and visiting teaching list on my app

Post by russellhltn »

I believe that is turned on only for those with callings that relate to HT/VT.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dkswenson

Post by dkswenson »

My friend with an Android phone can see his assigned Home Teaching families on LDS Tools. Is this not available on the iPhone version? (Even if I'm not a Home Teaching supervisor/leader, I should be able to see my own assignments, right?)
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Is your friend in an elders quorum presidency, high priest group leadership, a district leader, or a clerk? That might be why he sees home teaching assignments.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dkswenson wrote:(Even if I'm not a Home Teaching supervisor/leader, I should be able to see my own assignments, right?)
Not that I'm aware of.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Part of the reason that members can't see their own assignments is because sometimes assignments are changed, and the elders quorum presidency is responsibility for communicating assignments. Listing assignments directly in the app could circumvent that responsibility when there are changes. Also, sometimes they could be evaluating different scenarios without intending a given change to be final, and it would be confusing if you noticed that your assignment changed in the app while the elders quorum presidency was doing planning.

It's possible there could be a "planning" state added in the future, for leaders to edit home teaching in Leader and Clerk Resources without publishing any changes. But for now, since changes go live instantly, it complicates things.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
lsbraudt

Post by lsbraudt »

I can appreciate the importance of leaders communicating assignments. As a VT Coordinator I do that. However, handing out little bits of paper is not effective. I rush around handing out slips, not communicating. People don't keep paper any more, they forget the changes were made and sometimes continue on their old assignment or miss opportunities for inspired visits because they can't remember the sister's name and haven't programmed her yet in their phone.

I would love being able to call or visit a visiting teacher about her new assignment. Ask her to sync her devise and We both bring up the changes on our devise and discuss it together. There would be more flexibility and opportunity on how the communication took place if a sister could see her assignment. Her assignment isn't a secret, so she should be able to view it,
jtpocean

Post by jtpocean »

Hello. I am the EQP in my ward and can confirm that those who have IOS cannot see their own personal assignments or hometeachers unless they are in leadership or have a calling related to hting/vting. However, those who have Android do have access to their own assignments, whether they are in a leadership related calling or not. Hopefully this will get corrected.
halt3862

Post by halt3862 »

Is this going to receive a fix anytime soon?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

halt3862 wrote:Is this going to receive a fix anytime soon?
If there was any time that a member without an appropriate leadership calling was able to see anything related to home teaching or visiting teaching it was a programing error and has since been fixed/removed. I just checked my wife's android LDS Tools and she is not able to see anything related to home teaching or visiting teaching since she does not have a requisite leadership calling.

Unless you have a leadership calling with access or responsibility for home teaching or visiting teaching you should not be able to see anything related to home teaching or visiting teaching. It is unlikely that that capability will be added unless the brethren call for it to be provided.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “iPhone/iPad Member Tools App”