concerned about physical security for Cisco D9865

Discussions around the satellite system and video distribution.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

concerned about physical security for Cisco D9865

Post by rmrichesjr »

I'm concerned about the physical security of the new Cisco D9865 set-top satellite receiver. The one that showed up (unannounced) in my meetinghouse is sitting loose in the rack, which is in the library aka "media center". There is nothing to physically protect the receiver from being pulled out of the rack. Similarly, there is nothing to physically prevent anyone in the library (youth on an errand during seminary, children while a parent makes a photocopy, etc.) from playing with the front-panel controls, which, IIUC, now allow much easier changes to a wide variety of settings.

Question 1: Should there not be a set of brackets to secure the receiver in the rack?

Question 2: Once the receiver is locked on to the Church channel, does headquarters remotely lock down the receiver's controls so only they can control it?

Question 3: Is there still a serial number to identify the specific unit when placing a call to the help desk?

(As is typical for the western Oregon area, the FM group did not inform the STS about anything related to the change. It was a complete surprise to him that our meetinghouse receiver had been changed. The FM group has not responded to his weeks-old request for information about the change. That's why I'm asking here.)
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: concerned about physical security for Cisco D9865

Post by Mikerowaved »

I'll give it a shot.

1. The model the church selected does not have rack mounting ability.
2. Not that I've seen.
3. Probably, I haven't checked my new one yet. A unit number should suffice when calling CHQ.

My rack is also in the library, but it's mounted on the wall with a lockable front door.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

Thanks for the info. In case anyone who sees this thread has not seen this info, it looks very informative:

https://www.lds.org/help/support/meetin ... e?lang=eng

And, just in case someone puts the satellite receiver into an unrecoverably messed up state, I'll be sure to take a small computing device and relevant converters/adapters so I can pull a program from the internet.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

rmrichesjr wrote:Question 1: Should there not be a set of brackets to secure the receiver in the rack?
Ours just sits on a shelf unattached. We have a door on our rack that locks, so there is little incentive for curious folks to play with it.
rmrichesjr wrote:Question 2: Once the receiver is locked on to the Church channel, does headquarters remotely lock down the receiver's controls so only they can control it?
We have not seen this with any of our receivers. In fact, we have a list of channels so that we can change between languages when needed.
rmrichesjr wrote:Question 3: Is there still a serial number to identify the specific unit when placing a call to the help desk?
Oh yes. We found out the hard way Saturday. Check out this post.
rmrichesjr wrote:(As is typical for the western Oregon area, the FM group did not inform the STS about anything related to the change. It was a complete surprise to him that our meetinghouse receiver had been changed. The FM group has not responded to his weeks-old request for information about the change. That's why I'm asking here.)
It appears that our FM Group functions much the same way as yours. I think they did call and say the receiver swap out was complete, but they had no further information.

I would suggest your STS ask the FM Group to confirm that the receiver has been registered before you are scheduled for a regional conference or other encrypted broadcast.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

Thank you for that information and those excellent suggestions. I sent my STS a link to the referenced post and a suggestion to get confirmation.

Return to “Satellite”