Out of Unit Records

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Member Tools Application.
znuk7

Out of Unit Records

Post by znuk7 »

We are able to create out of unit records for the senior missionary couples in our ward, but they will not sync with LDS Tools. Is there a trick to getting them into the app? Do they need to have a calling to show up in LDS Tools? Thanks...Tom
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Out of Unit Records

Post by russellhltn »

You can try. If you give them a calling, then at least they will show up under their calling. Depending on how the Mission Office assigns them, they might appear as missionaries serving in the ward. But I'm not sure if they ever show up in the directory or not.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kellymab

Post by kellymab »

russellhltn wrote: If you give them a calling, then at least they will show up under their calling. Depending on how the Mission Office assigns them, they might appear as missionaries serving in the ward. But I'm not sure if they ever show up in the directory or not.
If you give them both a standard calling, they will show up both under their calling and in the directory. We recently tried this with our senior couple and got it to work. After putting them in a standard calling, they will have access to both their home ward/stake directory and their out of unit ward/stake in LDS tools.
tannerr

Post by tannerr »

The out of unit persons need to show up on bothe directories (home Ward and other unit) at all times. Giving them a standard calling in both units seems very arbitrary for clerks and branch presidents to understand.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

tannerr wrote:The out of unit persons need to show up on bothe directories (home Ward and other unit) at all times. Giving them a standard calling in both units seems very arbitrary for clerks and branch presidents to understand.
A member does not need to have a calling of any kind in their home ward to appear in their home ward Directory. The member needs both an out of unit record and a standard calling in the other unit in which they have been called to serve.

Once a member has both an out of unit record and a standard calling in their service unit they will appear in that unit with their calling as well as his or her name continuing to appear in the home unit where his or her records are maintained.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

In the case if children, I wonder if assigning them to a class is sufficient. I thought out-of-unit was supposed to help with kids that alternate wards.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:In the case if children, I wonder if assigning them to a class is sufficient. I thought out-of-unit was supposed to help with kids that alternate wards.
I'm not sure but I think it may be that some tools have been updated to handle the out-of-unit record without the calling and others have not. LCR certainly handles them but I'm not sure about the Directory or LDS Tools. But I expect eventually all of them will.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

eblood66 wrote:
russellhltn wrote:In the case if children, I wonder if assigning them to a class is sufficient. I thought out-of-unit was supposed to help with kids that alternate wards.
I'm not sure but I think it may be that some tools have been updated to handle the out-of-unit record without the calling and others have not. LCR certainly handles them but I'm not sure about the Directory or LDS Tools. But I expect eventually all of them will.
There are some technical reasons for the differences in how out-of-unit members are handled in LCR, Directory, and LDS Tools. eblood66's assessment is accurate. I don't know when the other tools will be updated, but they eventually will. Doing that is a significant project, so it is going to be a while.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

scgallafent wrote:There are some technical reasons for the differences in how out-of-unit members are handled...
Which can probably be summarized as "different update cycles" since a change in practice. ;)

Return to “iPhone/iPad Member Tools App”