Multiple account holders using same browser(Chrome)

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
DCSmith930

Multiple account holders using same browser(Chrome)

Post by DCSmith930 »

I have elderly Parents using the same Chrome browser. Neither can remember passwords, so I have tried to set them up with Chrome remembering the password. The problem I have run into is that I can not see how to set up two usernames for the same login screen, with different passwords.

Any help from the users here would be appreciated.

Thanks.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Multiple account holders using same browser(Chrome)

Post by aebrown »

DCSmith930 wrote:I have elderly Parents using the same Chrome browser. Neither can remember passwords, so I have tried to set them up with Chrome remembering the password. The problem I have run into is that I can not see how to set up two usernames for the same login screen, with different passwords.
Two ideas:
  • It is indeed possible to set up two usernames for the same login screen on Chrome. Assuming you have Chrome configured to remember username/passwords, when you first sign in sign in to a page, Chrome will prompt you to remember that username/password combination. Then when you sign in to that page with a new username, Chrome will prompt you to remember the new username/password combination. When you subsequently come to that page, Chrome will default to the last username/password you used to sign in, but if you click in the username field, you'll see a list of usernames that you can choose from. When you pick one, the corresponding password will be used to fill in the password field, so you're all ready to sign in.
  • Another option that takes more work to set up, but has additional benefits, is to set up an additional user. This is done in Chrome's Settings, in the People section. You click the Add Person button and set up and entirely different user (each user needs their own Google account to sign in to Chrome with). That user has their own remembered usernames/passwords, their own bookmarks, their own initial tabs settings, history, cookies, themes, etc. On Windows, you can even pin separate shortcuts to the taskbar for each user. It opens in its own window. If you choose this option, I'd recommend that you use different themes for the different people so that they can see at a glance which user it is, and not get confused and use the wrong browser.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

A third option would be to have them use two different browsers (for example, one of them could use Chrome, and the other could use Firefox). Depending on their comfort level with technology, it may be easier for them to use two different browsers with two different icons.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You can add two different icons on the desktop with Chrome. Each icon launches it's own profile. (You won't see this feature if you only have one profile.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Church Account”