How can membership records be transferred without the member requesting that?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
peepsh

How can membership records be transferred without the member requesting that?

Post by peepsh »

I have recently experienced my membership records being transferred out of my current ward of 3 years and no one in the clerks office can tell me Why they were transferred, WHO requested the transfer? and WHERE my records went. They all seem to have the same answer, I don;t know......Well those records are my own membership records along with my two children. How do I get answers to this?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: How can membership records be transferred without the member requesting that?

Post by russellhltn »

The real question is where are they getting transferred to, and is that the ward whose boundaries you live in?

By in large, all members should have their membership records in the ward whose boundaries they live in. There are exceptions for singles and language wards. Beyond that, it requires approval by the bishops, stake presidents and the Office of the First Presidency. (Handbook 1: 13.6)

Bottom line, if your records keep getting transferred to the ward you should be, you're probably fighting a loosing battle. If you are in the right ward, they can set a "Move Restriction" on your record to keep it from being moved out. Or, your ward clerk can call the ward where the records are ending up and find out what's going on.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: How can membership records be transferred without the member requesting that?

Post by Mikerowaved »

To further comment on russellhtn's post, records can leave the ward by either being "pushed" by your ward into a different one, or they can be "pulled" by another ward into theirs. This is what I suspect happened. Have your ward clerk pull your records back into your ward. All he needs is your full name and birthdate. It used to take eons to do this, but it can now be done in a matter of minutes. Your records will show your prior ward and your clerk can find out who the bishop is. Most likely it was done by mistake, so I would let it go - unless it happens again.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote:To further comment on russellhtn's post, records can leave the ward by either being "pushed" by your ward into a different one, or they can be "pulled" by another ward into theirs.
It can be done by the ward clerk, membership clerk, assistant clerk, or bishop - on either ends. So there's a number of people that need to be asked before being sure of an answer.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Your current ward should also have gotten a report showing where your membership records were transferred.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

For bishops and clerks, the "Members Moved Out" report in LCR shows where the records were moved to.

Return to “Membership Help”