Missionary email system

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
Jacob Fullmer-p40

Post by Jacob Fullmer-p40 »

zholmquist wrote: In a nutshell. . .
MyLdsMail allows you to forward emails ( probably end after
this post ) to another account you have. We forwarded it
Gmail, I mean it offers 2GB of space, more than plenty to
keep 2 years of stuff in it AND it allows for POP3 access.

Zach,

you're a life saver! I'm lucky enough that my ldsmail account has survived quite some time since my release but I need to do what you're talking about but have no clue how to do it. Could you drop me a line at jakefullmer@gmail.com and give me some more intricate details to set up gmail. Mainly, what do I list my incoming/outgoing server as when I set the account up in Thunderbird? AND, is there an easier way to forward all my messages from the myldsmail account or do I have to do it one by one?

-Jake
jakefullmer@gmail.com

P.S. I could have looked up Elder Holland's email?!
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

I have currently set up the forwarding so that they do all get forwarded. But it doesn't apply retroactivly so any old email has to be forwarded one e-mail at a time.
- David
bartbarker

Update: still a problem

Post by bartbarker »

My missionary son emailed me today. He said Myldsmail.net didn't work yesterday on p-day, so they had to get special permission to email today. Of course, this would take away from their time available for missionary work.

My son will be home in 9 weeks, but I'd love to see the missionary email system improved for other missionaries.

(I am not trying to start a controversy or to be critical. I'm simply noting a need for improvements for the benefit of the missionaries.)
Psyborg-p40

Account Deactivation

Post by Psyborg-p40 »

Do the accounts automatically deactivate because of inactivity? If so, how long?
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Yes and No. Inactivity will eventually remove them after 6 months or so, but also somebody wanting to sign up with the same username will pre-delete the account if that missionary has already left and it has past the 2 month grace period.

I only got this from experimentation (keeping my account active for about 2 years after my mission) and what I have heard from others.
- David
dijjithedde-p40

Post by dijjithedde-p40 »

bbarker wrote:I have been keeping emails from my missionary son. I'll copy them to a disc for him when he returns. When I write to him I've been sending copies to his Yahoo Mail account. I don't know if that account will still be active when he hasn't accessed it for a couple of years. If not, I have copies of the emails I've sent as well.

But you're right: it would be very useful if a missionary could download all the emails at the end of the mission to create a kind of journal and history.
I just returned from my mission faced by the same problem: that is, archiving all my emails from my mission. I had not thought at the beginning to forward them all to my gmail, so they were all 'stuck'. I have mulled this over in my mind for several weeks and today I came up with the perfect solution out of the blue. I will try to explain to ya'll how to download an archive of my 909 email messages in about a half hour.

• You will need to use Mozilla Firefox web browser, available for free at http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/
• On the Firefox website, find and install the add-on called DownloadThemAll! (currently found at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/201 )
• At the top of the screen, click the icon with checkmarks, labeled Options.
• Under the "Select Template:" option, select "Webmail". Click "Save"
• Log out of MyLDSMail, then Log in again.
• On your computer, prepare a place to download your emails. I made a folder that matched each folder I had in MyLDSMail, but you may set it up however you want.
• Back in Firefox, Click "Folders"
• You will do the following for each of the folders:
  1. Click the folder name
  2. On the Firefox browser 'Tools' menu, select 'DownloadThemAll! Tools' -> 'DownloadThemAll!...'
  3. Under 'Save files in...', select the download destination.
  4. Under Filters, select 'All files'
  5. Deselect manually the ones that aren't messages. This is usually the first seven and the last one, two, or three (The ones saying "Read Message" in the Description column are the only ones you need)
  6. Press start. It will immediately tell you once it starts the second file that there is already one by the same name. Tell it to auto rename the files and always remember the setting. My DSL connection processed all 50 emails in about 30 seconds. (helpful hint: you can change the number of emails per page in the Options menu of MyLDSMail. The maximum is 50)
  7. If you have more than 50 emails in the folder, press Next at the bottom and repeat steps 2, 5, and 6
  8. After pressing Next the last time, it will still display 50 messages, so to avoid repeats you may want to pay attention to the last email from the second-to last page
Hope this is helpful! If you have any questions, email me at dijjithedde AT gmail.com with subject: "MyLDSMail download"
camerondixon

Post by camerondixon »

myldsmail has offered email forwarding since at least 3 1/2 years ago when I had it sent to my gmail account. Though you are correct, no retroactivity.

That being said, it was a difficult client to use then, and my brother serving in NJ constantly complains of his emails in the process of being sent simply timing out. That email is then irretrievable. The family has received several letters like "I wrote you a really great letter today but then myldsmail...". That, or he just uses his gmail account, which, at least as of the missionary handbook, an elder/sister shouldn't do.
Enigma1-p40

Post by Enigma1-p40 »

As far as I understand the POP connection to a Myldsmail.net account is not active until the missionary has returned home (we have the option to turn on the POP protocol).
As I work for the Global Service Center I deal with missionary incidents that have to do with myldsmail.net servers. I must say that you have a valid complaint, but at the same time you will find that there are going to be a few problems here and there with any piece of hardware/software released. This is normal. I have very few incidents that come in about missionaries not being able to communicate with their families, although I know that it does happen.
a few things to be aware of.
  1. The church uses a very strong filtering system that will block emails containing certain material, content, words, spam etc (for the most part)
  2. If the email address that your email you are sending to your missionary is an obscure address (sometimes an email from your ISP), our filters will block the email because we have no information on the sender. try sticking with Gmail, Hotmail, and Yahoo accounts.
  3. this one has slipped my mind, i had a 3rd. I'll get back on it after I get some sleep (working the night shift currently)
Basically what i would do is have your missionary setup a gmail account before he goes to the MTC, have him/her give you the account info, and as soon as your son/daughter opens a myldsmail.net email account, have them go into the options and have a "COPY" of all email messages forwarded to the gmail address, then you, as the parent, will periodically login to gmail just to make sure it stays active (it shouldnt shut down but just in case) This is the best thing I can tell you to do.

Brian
zabaki

Post by zabaki »

Using myldsmail right now, I see what I miss the must is a function that saves what I'm writing, while I Write it.

Too often, my concern and other elders concern, has been that the server logged off, crashed, or something, and then not having a option to save the email, lose everything.

Unlike Gmail, where txt is saved while writing.

Space is alot a matter.
I've had to delete many of my letters to mission president and others, because I didn't have enough space, because I've sent pictures home.

An auto forward of emails from president, is also a function I never got to work right.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

zabaki wrote:Using myldsmail right now, I see what I miss the must is a function that saves what I'm writing, while I Write it.

Too often, my concern and other elders concern, has been that the server logged off, crashed, or something, and then not having a option to save the email, lose everything.

Unlike Gmail, where txt is saved while writing.

Space is alot a matter.
I've had to delete many of my letters to mission president and others, because I didn't have enough space, because I've sent pictures home.

An auto forward of emails from president, is also a function I never got to work right.
One suggestion to help protect you against loss of your message during its creation would be to type of your Email using Notepad, Wordpad, or whatever editor you have available. When you're finished then just copy the text over to your Email program and hit SEND. My son did this while on his mission and it worked well.

As for space, you can forward copies of your Email/photos to another Email account manually if the autoforward won't work. At least you'll have a backup copy and a track record of your communications during your mission.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”