Can anyone confirm an iPhone app called "Clerk"?

stanbutler

Can anyone confirm an iPhone app called "Clerk"?

Post by stanbutler »

Shortly after logging into the LCR site I get asked about installing an APP called 'Clerk".

I called support but they tell me the only church APP is LDS Tools.

This does not feel RIGHT!

It should be very well known by now yet I have NOT seen anything posted about this APP???

Can anyone verify that this app is supposed to be prompting me to download the "Clerk" app??

The Clerk APP icon is the familiar blue background and white writing feather with the ink well, anybody know about this?

If not its must be an exploit and should be investigated sooner than later.

Thank you

Br. Butler
Hamilton Ward, Ashburn VA Stake
wertdl
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Can anyone confirm an iPhone app called "Clerk"?

Post by wertdl »

If you are using Safari on an Apple device (iPhone/iPad), you were probably prompted to add a shortcut to your home page. This is safe to do; it's not malicious.
Attachments
LCR Page.PNG
(99.82 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Add to Home Screen.PNG
(93.39 KiB) Not downloaded yet
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

See also this thread: Where do I find the Clerk App?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
stanbutler

Post by stanbutler »

The "Clerk" APP appears to be pushed by the LDS.Org/LCR site whenever you are accessing LCR with an IOS device such as an iPhone.
It's a pop-up that seems to occur very quickly whenever the LCR user is a member of the Bishopric org, Ward Clerk, Ward or Asst. Clerk, Membership.
The Popup can become rather annoying if you don't place on the iPhone's Home Page.

Has anyone heard of the church providing us clerks validation on the Clerk App? The app might be nothing but I really got a bad ffeling about this app.

I had hoped for someone to be able to verify/validate that this app is ok for church use. with all the searching of forums what I read did not mentioned it being a church sanctioned APP.

If anybody out there has been involved into INFOSEC, BlackHat, SANs conferences. you might understand why it is so important to find someone somewhere who can verify that it is supposed to be pushed to a Clerk whom is using an iPhone to access LCR.

Very respectfully submitted with high hopes Clerk APP is not Malicious nor an exploit/keylogger ETC....

Br. Butler Ward Membership Clerk
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

If you look carefully at the images you uploaded, you'll see it's a "web app" and it points to "lds.org". It's not really an app, but a shortcut you can place on your home screen. It just makes it easier to get to LCR.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:If you look carefully at the images you uploaded, you'll see it's a "web app" and it points to "lds.org". It's not really an app, but a shortcut you can place on your home screen. It just makes it easier to get to LCR.
Actually, wertdl posted the images. He is a Church employee.

As he said four posts ago, if you are using Safari on an Apple device (iPhone/iPad), you were probably prompted to add a shortcut to your home page. This is safe to do; it's not malicious.

And as russellhltn said, it is simply a shortcut to the actual website. If you are seeing the pages wertdl posted, it is something safe to use if you wish.
stanbutler

Post by stanbutler »

Ok, Thanks,

It's not an APP but it is a shortcut, an alias for Http://LDS.Org/LCR
I thank you an appreciate the help in understanding what it real was. I would not had been even remotely worry had this popped up while I was on a laptop. The iPhone does not have a real easy way to check out/look into short cuts. I tried to get info but it was not showing up with all the other apps. I became more worried when I tried to find it and failed to see anything referencing. Thanks to you both, I appreciate the reasurance

Return to “Mobile Applications”