Can't connect to home server from church

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
Riley.Loader

Can't connect to home server from church

Post by Riley.Loader »

Recently I've been playing with a server at my house, trying to get it ready for actual use with a few websites. I've been almost completely unable to connect to that server when on the church network. It just times out. Though I can connect to it anywhere else in the world. I was going to just give up on it, but suddenly I noticed that my android tablet (wifi) IS able to connect to the server. I'm thinking perhaps it might be that my android uses a different set of nameservers, but I can't even connect on the computer when just using the IP (currently 76.8.200.141). The domain is test.loaderfam.net, and I'm really puzzled. Anybody have any ideas as to what could be the reason?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Can't connect to home server from church

Post by russellhltn »

The church uses a firewall. I'm not sure of all the rules.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Some firewalls block web sites that are accessed within a few days or weeks of being created, because that's a common characteristic of phishing sites (created and publicized quickly to imitate a bank, for example, then taken down before they're caught). This happened to me with one of my web sites [which was not a phishing site :)], which was blocked for a little while on BYU's firewall (Cisco, if I remember correctly).
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
Riley.Loader

Post by Riley.Loader »

Good thought, something similar crossed my mind too. The ultimate hope is that it'll at least eventually clear. Though it's been a couple of weeks so far. You just had to wait it out for yours that was blocked on BYU's firewall?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I believe some firewalls block all IPs that are known to be home users.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I submitted a request to BYU IT and by the time they got around to it the problem had resolved itself. I don't remember exactly how long it took. So it was just a matter of waiting it out.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Out of curiosity, was this ever resolved?
Riley.Loader

Post by Riley.Loader »

Sorry, extremely late reply :)

A funny circumstance had me googling my domain name and this came up. I never realized you'd asked if it was resolved. It did eventually fix itself, yes.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”