Recording Sunday School Attendance

Discuss where to obtain or how to fill out specific reports or forms.
Hakuo0000

Recording Sunday School Attendance

Post by Hakuo0000 »

Our new Sunday School President is wondering if there's anyway to get away from recording attendance via paper? I get what he means, the attendance list for Gospel Doctrine alone is ten pages long. He's wondering if there's an electronic way to keep track--in a similar way the EQ and RS are now able to keep track of home teaching.

We're hoping there's some beta program we can get into or something.

Cheers!
eblood66

Re: Recording Sunday School Attendance

Post by eblood66 »

There is no indication that electronic role taking is in the works. The emphasis right now is on moving existing functionality from MLS to LCR which is likely to be well into next year before it's done.

Personally I have my doubts about whether electronic roles will ever be added. I think the church is hesitant to have records on their servers regarding the behavior of members, possibly for privacy reasons. HT/VT does not actually record whether someone has done their home teaching but rather whether a household was visited (be it by the assigned teachers, the presidency or someone else). So its a different kind of thing.

But perhaps electronic role taking might be added to LDS Tools sometime where the information stays local to that one device. But I haven't heard of that being in the works either.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote:Personally I have my doubts about whether electronic roles will ever be added. I think the church is hesitant to have records on their servers regarding the behavior of members, possibly for privacy reasons.
+1

I think the church is hesitant to keep anything that looks like centralized records for stuff like that. In the case of paper, once it's used to create the stats, maybe it's kept, maybe not. But it never leaves the local leader who has it. It's not centralized. No risk of being viewed as a "permanent record".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

You could use a spreadsheet app on a tablet to create a roll, and pass it around each week.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
rontilby

Post by rontilby »

Sunday School attendance statistics are not included on the quarterly report! Unless the Sunday School attendance records are actually being used by the Sunday School Presidency, the teachers, or the bishopric, I see no reason to keep taking roll in Sunday School.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Gathering attendance information is one of the roles of the Sunday school secretary, and the Sunday school organization should be using it to help them increase participation (Handbook 2, 12.2.4). The ward clerk usually doesn't need to worry about Sunday school attendance, like he does attendance at Relief Society or Priesthood meetings, but the Sunday school presidency should. And, of course, it may be helpful for the Sunday school presidency to bring attendance into the ward council discussion.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
maligonaries

Post by maligonaries »

What I do in EQ is I downloaded a PDF copy of the attendance rolls, then I use the app "Adobe Fill and Sign" to tick the boxes right beside their names.

Hope this would help.
jamauai

Post by jamauai »

maligonaries wrote:What I do in EQ is I downloaded a PDF copy of the attendance rolls, then I use the app "Adobe Fill and Sign" to tick the boxes right beside their names.
Hope this would help.
Just tested and it works surprisingly well. Thanks for sharing.
wphatch

Post by wphatch »

Hi what I do is make two gospel doctrine classes one with regular attendees and the other ones that have not been for quite sometime. I put the regular attendees list first and the other backing on to it. If they turn up in a quarter I move them from the not attending to the regular attendees list works well. Just have to train the recorders, especially now that next year Sunday school might be used in quarterly report?
waynecooke

Post by waynecooke »

How about just passing around a blank sheet of lined paper with a pen, and have them sign their name. There is your list, and it should be on one to two pages of paper.

Return to “Reports and Forms”