Adding a stake patriarch to the callings

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
dkarbuckle

Adding a stake patriarch to the callings

Post by dkarbuckle »

We are a new stake, and today we sustained the patriarch for our stake. So I wanted to update this in our list of callings and when I go to the patriarch option in the organizations list, there is understandably no entry in there. When I select on "Add Another Calling", there is no option for patriarch, and the only option is to add a new custom calling.

Any help in resolving this problem would be appreciated.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Adding a stake patriarch to the callings

Post by russellhltn »

Looking at Handbook 1:15.1, the process of ordaining a patriarch is rather involved and requires approval of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. As such, I think it's safe to assume that calling will be added by CHQ once all the paperwork is complete.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dkarbuckle

Post by dkarbuckle »

Thanks for the reply. It is interesting that I can change the calling of a bishop, which requires approval of the First Presidency, but I can't do the same for the patriarch. We have submitted and received the necessary approval from the Quorum of the Twelve, otherwise we would not have sustained him today without this authorization. I'd like to get this updated as soon as possible, so that he can start functioning in his role -- which requires access to the patriarchal blessing recommendations.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

dkarbuckle wrote:I'd like to get this updated as soon as possible, so that he can start functioning in his role -- which requires access to the patriarchal blessing recommendations.
Church headquarters will update it when they receive a record of his ordination. And they will probably get it updated long before the new patriarch is ready to give blessings, unless he is already ordained and has served before in another stake.

Being able to update the calling of a bishop at LCR is relatively new. I expect that eventually the programming may be changed to make it possible to update the ordination of a patriarch, which happens much less frequently.
dkarbuckle

Post by dkarbuckle »

lajackson -- Thanks for the reply and information. We currently don't have a patriarch in our stake and have been using the ones from the neighboring stakes, and so we are anxious to enable our new patriarch to function as soon as possible.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”