I think there`s a problem here

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
ccordoba24

I think there`s a problem here

Post by ccordoba24 »

Hi,

Can I add a quick comment? because I think there`s a problem that gsc or the IT people in church don`t seem to know about or see.

What happened was that I moved to another city in Argentina, so I`ve been released as STS. But in my new ward the bishop asked me about work and what I did in my old stake etc ... and then he straight away asked me to help out with his clerk PC because it upgraded to windows 10 but it is still mostly in English even after setting local regional settings to spanish argentina.

I think that people are realizing that there are different versions of Windows in different parent languages, so if you download an image that is English parent lang, ie an "en" iso, you end up with a "start" button, the a "configuration" option and My PC and Control Panel etc, and not the Spanish version ie an "es" iso, where you end up with "inicio" button, "configuracion" and "panel de control" ....

Now EVEN if you change the regional settings to , say, Argentina and Spanish settings, you still have a English windows OS with parent language English and not Spanish. And although we may look at the above and think "they can work it out because Control Panel is very similar to Panel de Control"........ they dont!... local clerks , bishops and counsellors are having problems with this. I found that out when I was a STS in another city and now as a general helper in this new address, which by the way is some 400km away form my former home. It isn´t a problem in only one stake.

Plus the PF people only have software in English, and its seems to be a requirement for employment there to speak english, which is fine, but it doesn`t solve the problem for the clerks and bishoprics, let alone people like RS or Elders Q!

To solve this , all the GSC has to do is download or get from Microsoft the Spanish version windows and post it where the Spanish version mls and sophos links are...I can do several languages with my MS account, and I pay the lowest fee possible, so I´m sure the church can too.... oh, and it doesn´t costs extra to get a "es" image from Microsoft, they don`t add costs if you add another parent language image to your options....so I can`t understand why the church wont do this...

Now I´ve seen two stakes some 400km apart with exactly the same issues, they can`t use all of windows because they don`t understand the parent language menu items , even after setting the local regional settings to Spanish.

I hope there is someone out there in the mormon cyberworld who can at least take a look at putting a "es" iso in lds.org.es or in the local country sites...

cheers,

:shock:
aclawson

Re: I think there`s a problem here

Post by aclawson »

You need the Spanish language pack.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... uage-packs
ccordoba24

Post by ccordoba24 »

aclawson wrote:You need the Spanish language pack.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... uage-packs
it doesn't change windows parent language, that's the problem here that folks in gsc don't seem to understand.

So after installing the spanish language pack you still see all menu items in english (ie file edit etc) and start button menu is also in english so they see 'printer' and not 'impresora' which is both confusing and makes the pc somewhat unusable to non-english speakers like bishop , clerk, relief society pres, and so on.

but i guess gsc staff can log in remotely and see an english parent language computer!!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

But once you download the language pack, what happens if you change the language in control panel? I don't have a W10 in front of me, but looking at Win7, under "Region and Language", there's some settings under "location" that seems to include language as well.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ccordoba24

Post by ccordoba24 »

russellhltn wrote:But once you download the language pack, what happens if you change the language in control panel? I don't have a W10 in front of me, but looking at Win7, under "Region and Language", there's some settings under "location" that seems to include language as well.
that doesn't solve it. It changes some basic things, like your browser defaults to a spanish language as does lds.org, but the parent language of the OS stays the same...ie you still see a 'Start" button and not an 'Inicio" button, and the menu's are all in english and in start you come up with 'Settings" instead of 'configuracion' and 'Printers" instead of "Impresora" .... they are all governed by the parent language of the OS and one needs to actually get a spanish language OS to solve this, but neither the gsc nor the local physical facilities people downloaded an windows version in Spanish...they only use English OS...
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

There's an extended process here – maybe it would work?
http://www.windowscentral.com/how-prope ... windows-10
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
ccordoba24

Post by ccordoba24 »

yeap,..that did the trick..thanks, ...turns out that from win10 they allow change of system default language...so yes, thanks :)

now only the gsc staff needs to know about this so that people in non english speaking areas can change windows parent language or system default language easily,...makes their computer more user friendly and more useful overall.

cheers,

:geek: :D

Return to “Clerk Computers”