Policies on Moving Funds Between Two Major Cateogories

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

waynecooke wrote:I want to transfer funds from a budget account to an Authorized...etc. account.
To move funds from a budget category to an Other:AMFA category requires a check to be written from the budget category and then deposited into the Other:AMFA category. See the How to deal with deficits section of the wiki article Other category.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
waynecooke

Post by waynecooke »

Thank you both for your responses. Yes, Transfers is correct. I was afraid that the "check" method was the way to do it, but I was hoping there was an easier way. Thanks again.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

waynecooke wrote:Thank you both for your responses. Yes, Transfers is correct. I was afraid that the "check" method was the way to do it, but I was hoping there was an easier way. Thanks again.
The is another way in which I feel is better than writing a check and depositing it into the other to cover a negative balance. Just make a category correction on the check that was written that caused the negative balance.
charlesbruderer

Re: Policies on Moving Funds Between Two Major Cateogories

Post by charlesbruderer »

I am EXTREMELY disappointed that much of the financial training has been removed and not updated, indeed much that remains has been diluted. Managing the "Other or Authorized Member Financed Activities" accounts is one specific example. I am a Stake Auditor and have to explain policy to new ward finance clerks. I used to be able to direct them to the training. I have one who is asking for the 'source' of my recommendations concerning the "Authorized Member Financed Activity" sub-categories. When is the Church going to update the training?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

charlesbruderer wrote:I am EXTREMELY disappointed that much of the financial training has been removed and not updated, indeed much that remains has been diluted. Managing the "Other or Authorized Member Financed Activities" accounts is one specific example. I am a Stake Auditor and have to explain policy to new ward finance clerks. I used to be able to direct them to the training. I have one who is asking for the 'source' of my recommendations concerning the "Authorized Member Financed Activity" sub-categories. When is the Church going to update the training?
Which important points about AMFA do you think are missing in the RKATS article The "Other" Category?
charlesbruderer

Post by charlesbruderer »

I apologize, I used to get more on the "Other" accounts from the Auditor Training. I had looked in the section on processing expenses and did not look in the "Donations" section of the discussion. You appeared to have covered the information for the most part. I should "Fall on my Sword now." Thanks again for your support
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

charlesbruderer wrote:I should "Fall on my Sword now." Thanks again for your support
No sword required. Consider yourself blessed for having helped others with a reminder of where the information may be found.

And every now and then something is missing or needs clarifying.
seanmthompson

Post by seanmthompson »

I have an Other category for Missionary iPads with a balance, and we have the official Missionary Mobile Device category. How can I move the balance from the informal iPad category to the correct one? Should I write a check to it? If so, do I enter "Other: Missionary Mobile Device" as the payee?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It would probably be best to re-categorize the original donations.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”