Secondary Calendar Request

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
Faithisit

Secondary Calendar Request

Post by Faithisit »

I will be called shortly to be Stake Membership Clerk and have been asked to track 6 different school districts with varying holiday and school years that our membership attend to allow for informed scheduling. I do not want to clutter the Stake Presidencies view of the standard existing calendar, however, an easy add-in would be desirable. I have used Google in the past but would prefer a secondary calendar with the ability to select each of the 6 so if a ward only had 2 of the districts they could select their interests. I also want to be able to import form an excel spreadsheet if possible. IDEALLY a second calendar would be helpful available to all members of the stake/wards.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Secondary Calendar Request

Post by aebrown »

Faithisit wrote:I will be called shortly to be Stake Membership Clerk and have been asked to track 6 different school districts with varying holiday and school years that our membership attend to allow for informed scheduling. I do not want to clutter the Stake Presidencies view of the standard existing calendar, however, an easy add-in would be desirable. I have used Google in the past but would prefer a secondary calendar with the ability to select each of the 6 so if a ward only had 2 of the districts they could select their interests. I also want to be able to import form an excel spreadsheet if possible. IDEALLY a second calendar would be helpful available to all members of the stake/wards.
What you are suggesting is already possible. You just need to create 6 stake calendars, one for each school district. Then members in each ward are welcome to subscribe to whichever of those calendars they want. I don't see how a second calendar could provide "the ability to select each of the 6" -- there's no way to distinguish which events on a single calendar would belong to which district. But having 6 separate calendars allows for that with the current functionality.

The downside of this approach is that many members will have their settings set such that they are auto-subscribed to all new calendars, and they may consider these 6 new calendars to be clutter. But that would be true if you somehow could add a single secondary calendar as well.

Importing directly from an Excel spreadsheet is not possible, but you can import from an iCal (.ics) file. There are various utilities and websites that will convert from Excel or CSV into iCal. You can easily find those with a Google search.
casper684

Re: Secondary Calendar Request

Post by casper684 »

Very interesting question! I am ward webmaster and stake bldg scheduler. I routinely put school holidays on our ward calendar
so that when ward is planning for the year they also see school holidays etc.

Return to “Calendar”