how to sync ward calendar into google calendar

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
thomasglennhunsaker

how to sync ward calendar into google calendar

Post by thomasglennhunsaker »

Is there a way to sync my lds.org stake calendar into my personal Google calendar?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: how to sync ward calendar into google calendar

Post by russellhltn »

Yes. Click on the gear icon, then "sync". It will give you the instructions and the link to do it. Note that the sync is one-way (Church to Google). You can't edit the church calendar from Google.

Also, it will sync all subscribed calendars - not just the ones you have a checkmark in the check box.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
danaejanis

Post by danaejanis »

In case this is helpful to someone else: If you created a Google calendar by URL and then adjusted your subscriptions on lds.org, you will want to click the "Generate new sync URLs" button and make an entirely new calendar. The original doesn't seem to update to match your new subscription settings after you've slid your sliders into the right places. It may seem obvious but it took me a bit of time to figure it out. ;)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

What I've found is that Google caches the original calendar file and updates it on it's own time table. (About once every 24 hours.) So fiddling with the calendar in Google won't get your updated subscription settings.

By changing the URL, you bypass Google's cache and get a direct "refresh" by fooling Google into thinking it's a different calendar.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
BrotherBill46

Post by BrotherBill46 »

I must be missing something. I too was seeing all of the subset church calendars. o our family Google calendar. So, I removed the Church calendar from our family Google calendar. On the LDS side, I unchecked all of the calendar subsets, then selected only the seven I want, copied the URL. On LDS Tools & LDS.org. I see only the seven subset calendars. However, when I add the Church calendar URL to our family Google calendar, I still see all the Church calendar susbsets' events. I don't see the "sliders" many of the posts have mentioned.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

BrotherBill wrote:I don't see the "sliders" many of the posts have mentioned.
The checkboxes only affect the display on lds.org - nothing else.

To expose the sliders, you have to click on the ">>" icon. It's located at the top of the divider between the left and main window panes.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

BrotherBill wrote:I don't see the "sliders" many of the posts have mentioned.
The sliders determine to which calendars you are subscribed, whether you view them or not, and all of the subscribed calendars sync (or at least are supposed to) through the link.

On the Calendar landing page where you have check boxes to view certain calendars, there is a >> at the top of the list to the right. Click that and you will see the sliders. Turn off the ones you do not wish to sync, and you should get what you wish. The << will hide that function once more and you will be back to the check boxes.

No, it is not intuitive, but again, you sync what is subscribed with the sliders, not what is checked in the view boxes.
BrotherBill46

Post by BrotherBill46 »

THANK YOU, BOTH. You are swift & accurate. All is well.
ttraunt

Post by ttraunt »

Something changed recently and my LDS calendar is only syncronizing 4 months out to my google calendar. I regenerated the sync URL and it still won't go past four months out on my google calendar. How do I correct this?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ttraunt wrote:Something changed recently and my LDS calendar is only syncronizing 4 months out to my google calendar. I regenerated the sync URL and it still won't go past four months out on my google calendar. How do I correct this?
The recent change was rolling out calendar 3.0. The limited sync is a known issue. You'll have to wait for a fix.

Return to “Calendar”