Temporary lighting solution for pulpit?

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
mprusse

Temporary lighting solution for pulpit?

Post by mprusse »

Are there fairly simple, temporary, pulpit lighting solutions to improve stake conference webcast video? Obviously, we don't want the speaker to feel like they are on stage and are being blinded.

What about replacing the cheap, ceiling pulpit aimed bullet lights with decent spot lights? I know that's not a simple or temporary solution but the ones they put in chapels are practically useless.

Behind the pulpit on either side are windows. I'm assuming it's best to keep that back lighting covered by closing the curtains?

Thank you for your suggestions!
craiggsmith

Re: Temporary lighting solution for pulpit?

Post by craiggsmith »

I agree, the installed pulpit lights are basically useless. In our stake center it would be easy to mount some real lights in the right place and they wouldn't be too noticeable, but so far I haven't gotten approval.

I always close the curtains in the stake center, but in some of our receiving buildings there are no curtains to close.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

craiggsmith wrote: I always close the curtains in the stake center, but in some of our receiving buildings there are no curtains to close.
We didn't have curtains in our receiving buildings and asked the FM group. They added curtains so now we have a much better experience.
roblad

Post by roblad »

There are several very nice LED replacements for the current 150 Watt R40 pulpit spots. With a little care you can get a narrower beam and a much brighter area light. The LED replacements have the same Edison base as a standard R40.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Just as a note, there's at least two types of lights in that form factor - flood and spot. Given the typical distance, you want spot. Flood would spread the light over such a large area as to be useless.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

The main problem with my building is they are not in the right location -- they basically light the top of the speaker's head, not the face. The biggest issue is they are cheap lights that fall out of adjustment and are too high to reach. If we had decent lighting, I think we would better image quality and might even be able to dim the choir during the speakers.
Craig
South Jordan, UT

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”