Roles and responsibilities

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
sbergin

Roles and responsibilities

Post by sbergin »

As the first counselor in the Bishopric in our ward, I am discouraged at the "stripping away" of some of my rights within the LCR system as the features are moved away from MLS. I realize there is a need to define roles and responsibilities, but in some cases it seems to just add unneeded red tape and bureaucracy to the process. The systems are moving to all web-based, where we can access them on the fly, yet we're now forced to spend extra time and energy forwarding needed items to another person (in this case, a membership record request that can now only be done by a clerk or the Bishop himself).

I would ask that you re-evaluate the role chart and try to ease up on some of the restrictions currently in force for those who might have legitimate needs.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Roles and responsibilities

Post by russellhltn »

MLS allowed the assigning of right beyond what the guidelines allowed. LCR is much stricter in it's enforcement. Nothing has been removed from you that was within the guidelines.

If you really feel the need to have membership rights, with the approval of the sake, you can have a clerk calling added. I think that has been done in cases where units are understaffed.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

sbergin wrote:I would ask that you re-evaluate the role chart and try to ease up on some of the restrictions currently in force for those who might have legitimate needs.
I'm afraid no one here in the forums is involved in any of those decisions. Most of us are just other users. A few developers do occasionally participate on the forums but they don't have authority to review the rules or prompt a review to occur.

You can use the feedback link in LCR to make this kind of request. Or alternatively you can try to get your stake president to take the request to his area priesthood leader. For a policy issue like this a stake president's request is likely to have more weight than just a feedback submission.

But we have heard from developers that the rights and roles are carefully reviewed by the general authorities with responsibilities over these products and over handbook policies. It's unlikely they will change their minds without a strong reason.

I think that there are generally good reasons for why the rights are set as they are. For instance, when a record is requested the clerk should review the record to see if there are any annotations or disciplinary notes that the bishop should be aware of. Counselors do not (and should not) have rights to see whether there is such a note and could not make this check.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote:It's unlikely they will change their minds without a strong reason.
I also think it unlikely that they would roll out such a change for all wards across the church. Not when there is a workaround by adding a second calling when needed.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”