Improving Membership move unit determination

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
rontilby

Improving Membership move unit determination

Post by rontilby »

As a Ward Clerk, one problem that I've seen is that membership records with addresses or address ranges which are outside of my unit are repeatedly moved to my unit.
Others on this forum have reported the same issue.

Usually when I use LCR to move a membership record out to a known address, the web page immediately shows the destination unit. Sometimes the new unit can't be determined, and I see a message that it may take some time for the record to be moved from my ward.

I would like to have a way for local unit clerks to supplement the street address to GPS coordinate translation that is used when determining a destination unit for a membership move.

Proposal: For "Problem Addresses" that the system is mapping to the wrong unit, provide a web page in LCR where clerks could enter the valid street address (including Apartment Number or range) and click on a map to provide the correct GPS coordinates for the address.

This information would supplement the data that is currently used to map Street Addresses to GPS coordinates.

Use Case Example:
I get a membership record move-in with an address of 207 E Gordon Ln Apt 10, SLC, UT.
I look at a boundary map of my stake (paper or on-line) and see that the address is in the 9th ward.
I use LCR to move the record to the 9th ward (overriding the incorrect unit).
I use the (proposed) new "Address to GPS mapping tool" in LCR to specify where 207 E Gordon Ln Apt 10
actually is located so that future membership record moves with that address will go to the correct unit.

Optionally, a "verification queue" could be created for the clerk in the target unit to review and approve new entries in the "Address to GPS mapping tool" within his unit boundaries.

Note that this proposed tool would not specify the church unit for the address, only the correct GPS coordinates. The current official unit boundaries are absolutely untouched, and would continue to be the determining factor in determining the correct unit.
McLaughlinES

Re: Improving Membership move unit determination

Post by McLaughlinES »

This can now be done if you open another window to the Directory on LDS.org. Use the find my meeting house search part of directory and put in the members new address. You will see the boundary map and the ward assigned to that address. You will also see the YA and language units for that address.
rontilby

Post by rontilby »

I guess I wasn't clear. What I want is for the church to provide a way for clerks to PERMANENTLY tell the church's Geographic Information System (GIS) that street address ABC is at GPS location XY, not where Google or Bing, or wherever else they get their Street Address to GPS mapping info from thinks.
pbeaty

Post by pbeaty »

The problem here is..... a GPS location can be independent to a road location... thus not match the database's geocoding mechanism.

Look at the grey area here in applying the theory to the real world. Where do you tie the address a physical location? To the address of the home? If so, is this the address of the location of where road and driveway meet, the location of mailbox, or the location of the residence, and what location on the residence.

If the church was to invest in supporting a non-road address geocoding mechanism for physical location (e.g. MRGS, What3Words, etc.) to better support physical location in very rural areas (e.g. Africa & Mongolia), they still need to tie the location down to roads as that is how HT, VT, Bishoprics, etc. actually visit people (the same needs as local government emergency agencies).

In short, we have dual needs.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”