Missionary Mobile Device - Payment

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
troy.ochsenbein

Missionary Mobile Device - Payment

Post by troy.ochsenbein »

I was recently told that the MMD for our missionaries needs to be paid. Should i pay that from the ward missionary budget for existing as well as future missionaries?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Missionary Mobile Device - Payment

Post by russellhltn »

I'm sure there's some directive on the subject, but I for tax reasons, I believe that would be incorrect. Donations to the Ward Missionary Fund are tax-deductible. But since the iPad is given to the missionary and is his/hers to keep after the mission, it's not a tax deductible expense. I thought MMD payments were run though the "other" account for that reason. (Since typically "other" does not appear on the end-of-year tax statement.)

Handbook 1: 14.4.3 says that funds should not be sent directly to the missionary. That was written before the MMD came about. I'd suggest that paying for the MMD from the Ward Missionary Fund may violate that principle - at least in the eyes of tax law.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
guycolbyiv

Post by guycolbyiv »

Since mobile device payments are not tax deductible, it is not appropriate to fund these devices using contributions to tax deductible categories (such as fast offerings or ward missionary funds). And since budget allowances come from the general tithing revenues of the Church, they should not be paid for with budget funds either. The missionary mobile device letters which go to stake presidents explain that the cost of the mobile devices is the responsibility of the missionaries and their families. These letters also suggest that if families need help in funding these devices, bishops and stake presidents can approach other members of the ward or stake and request assistance.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

guycolbyiv wrote:These letters also suggest that if families need help in funding these devices, bishops and stake presidents can approach other members of the ward or stake and request assistance.
I thought when this program started, there was an option where the church would supply the unit, but it had to be turned in at the end of the mission. If there's a problem with paying for it, it might be worth talking to the missionary department about other options.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dillonlexington

Post by dillonlexington »

Question, I have a father of a missionary who paid for this device and the payment is showing up on his (the father's) account and not the missionary's. How can I change this so the missionary gets credit for the payment.
darthjarjar

Post by darthjarjar »

How did he pay the fee?
"O, be wise; what can I say more?" Jacob 6:12 ;)
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

dillonlexington wrote:Question, I have a father of a missionary who paid for this device and the payment is showing up on his (the father's) account and not the missionary's. How can I change this so the missionary gets credit for the payment.
You would have to change the donor associated with the payment in MLS. Use Finance > View/Update Donations from the menu to find the appropriate batch and then donation and then change the donor.

But I'm not sure it really matters that much since this payment will not show up as a charitable donation on for either father or missionary.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dillonlexington wrote:I have a father of a missionary who paid for this device and the payment is showing up on his (the father's) account and not the missionary's. How can I change this so the missionary gets credit for the payment.
When you say "father's account", what do you mean? If the father paid for it, then it should show that the father was the donor. What matters is the payment was added to the correct Ward Missionary sub-category. For that, you can edit the donation.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”