On-Line Donation Corrections

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
crpettey

On-Line Donation Corrections

Post by crpettey »

Is there a set policy and procedures for making corrections to on-line donations. In our stake we have had a couple of instances where individuals accidentally made excessive donations. Who do we contact to correct these? Who needs to be involved?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: On-Line Donation Corrections

Post by russellhltn »

I would have the clerk contact Local Unit Support. I've seen no guidance on how that would be handled. The general statement from the FAQs is that "Donations are a free-will offering and cannot be refunded." I'm not sure, but there may be some tax law issues at play that limits what can legally be done.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
crpettey

Re: On-Line Donation Corrections

Post by crpettey »

According to Local Unit support... For On-Line donations: The donor would need to write a letter to the CUBS Accounting manager requesting the return, and why the return is requested. I am assuming that referencing the date of the donation and the amount would be helpful. This letter can be faxed to the CUBS accounting manager or emailed. You can get those by calling local unit support.

For a refund of donations made manually, the same letter from the donor needs to be accompanied by a letter from the bishop stating the circumstances and his recommendation for the refund.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”