Windows 10 local unit password keeps changing

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
mprusse

Windows 10 local unit password keeps changing

Post by mprusse »

I'm getting a new Windows 10 computer ready to install for a ward. Followed Windows 10 setup instructions creating a password for the local unit profile. I then noticed a program or two I wanted didn't get installed so I re-ran LDSProvisioning.exe and after its lengthy updating I attempted to log into the local unit account and the password that I had set up wouldn't work. I had to obtain the MHAdmin password from the Global Service Center and change the local unit password again. Then, noticing again that CutePDF wasn't installing (even though it says it has installed) I reran LDSProvisioning.exe again and the exact same thing happened where it wiped out the unit account password. I've now been able to duplicate this about four times.

Anyone else seeing this?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Windows 10 local unit password keeps changing

Post by russellhltn »

I can't imagine it changing the password to something random - it's probably something pre-set. Too bad they can't tell you what it is.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

russellhltn wrote:I can't imagine it changing the password to something random - it's probably something pre-set. Too bad they can't tell you what it is.
Is it actually setting a new password, or is it simply deleting it?

If the problem happens again, it might be worth trying, if you haven't tried it already, leaving the box blank and then pressing Enter.

Just my 2 cents worth, as the 2 computers in my Stake building haven't upgraded yet. Although we had a notification on Sunday, when logging in, that it is happening this week. So haven't had the opportunity to play and encounter these problems. :D
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Biggles wrote:Just my 2 cents worth, as the 2 computers in my Stake building haven't upgraded yet.
OP is talking about a new computer, not a upgrade.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

russellhltn wrote:
Biggles wrote:Just my 2 cents worth, as the 2 computers in my Stake building haven't upgraded yet.
OP is talking about a new computer, not a upgrade.
My mistake about it not being an upgrade, but my comments could still be valid for both scenarios.
mprusse

Post by mprusse »

I did try leaving the password field blank thinking exactly that but it's not that. My guess is some default.
JohnToddSr

Post by JohnToddSr »

I just experienced the same issue. Appears to be an issue within the LDSProvisioning program.
It could be that LDSProvisioning.exe is not checking to see if a password exist for the local unit account.
Does anyone know "who" to report a software issue like this to? A quick discussion with a developer
could help correct this issue. Just a thought...
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

I just set up a batch of PC's for our stake and let the LDSProvisioning run when they first powered on. After it runs, it sets a flag in Windows to force you to change the password from nothing to something. When it finished, I noticed a shortcut for LDSProvisioning was listed in the start menu. I was tempted to run it again, but resisted, thinking it might create a mess. Glad I did. Thanks for the heads-up. I'm going to remove the link from all our PC's.
Stevesmith573

Post by Stevesmith573 »

Mikerowaved wrote:I just set up a batch of PC's for our stake and let the LDSProvisioning run when they first powered on. After it runs, it sets a flag in Windows to force you to change the password from nothing to something. When it finished, I noticed a shortcut for LDSProvisioning was listed in the start menu. I was tempted to run it again, but resisted, thinking it might create a mess. Glad I did. Thanks for the heads-up. I'm going to remove the link from all our PC's.
This works great for me. thanks
https://www.tunesbro.com/bypass-windows-7-8-10-login-password.html

Return to “Clerk Computers”