New Windows 10 Computer

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
craiggsmith

New Windows 10 Computer

Post by craiggsmith »

Just got a couple new Windows 10 computers. Time to learn all over again; I've never seen 10 before and never even used 8 either. Any suggestions? Here are my initial thoughts and questions.

Nice to see new install instructions, although I didn't actually even notice the Win 10 page at first, I just clicked on "Setting Up a New Clerk Computer". Seems like they should retire the old page, or at least add a link at the top to the Win 10 page. And put the Win 10 page first. The instructions don't actually say anything you couldn't deduct on your own though; the one thing it could say is what to use for the password, but I found that addressed in the FAQ.

The provisioning tool is very nice, although it didn't install LibreOffice like I requested. It did install Adobe Reader and CutePDF however. The User Account Control to launch it was hidden behind a command window, which I didn't realize for a bit. The subsequent Adobe Reader update failed at first but was successful after a restart. A number of Windows updates installed as part of the restart as well, although there was no prompt.

I guess we're using the new Edge browser. Is there still a good reason to install Chrome or should we give it a shot? I'm a little confused as apparently there is both IE 11 and Edge. I don't see any way to launch IE, but after Edge comes up one of the menu items is to open the page in IE. Edge didn't use the home page settings that were selected during the setup for IE.

There are a number of things it seems we might want to uninstall/disable. Here are a few:
3D Builder?
Candy Crush Soda Saga
Get Office 365
Get Skype
Groove Music – can’t uninstall, unpinned from start but still shows up in programs menu
Minecraft – don't see any installation, just turned off live tile
Money
Movies and TV – can’t uninstall
News
Phone Companion?
Skype & Messaging
Solitaire
Sports
Store? - can't uninstall
Twitter
Xbox – can’t uninstall

There was a suggestion for Facebook but I found a start menu setting to turn off suggestions. There are a number of other system, privacy, notification, and other settings we might want to change but I'm not sure where to start and need a break.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: New Windows 10 Computer

Post by russellhltn »

Sounds like you got a stock Windows 10 image instead of a church one. You might want to call Local Unit Support to discuss that with them.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

I would have thought that given all the extra stuff but I don't think so since it had the Church's provisioning tool and Sophos and TEM and MLS etc.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
rolandc

Post by rolandc »

Unfortunately

That is the way they come for now.
Roland
pete.arnett

New MLS Windows 10 Computer Apps Removal

Post by pete.arnett »

Also removed the following from an MLS desktop that was upgraded by headquarters to Win 10

Alarms & Clock
App connector
Camera
Mail and Calendar
Maps
Microsoft Messaging
Microsoft Solitaire Collection
OneDrive - Stopped, Disabled auto start, removed from File Explorer and uninstalled
OneNote
People
Phone
Sway
Voice Recorder
Weather

Lenovo desktops - Lenovo Mouse Suite & Lenovo System Update
Last edited by pete.arnett on Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pete.arnett

New Windows 10 Computer Settings

Post by pete.arnett »

System Restore Point - Enable, set to 5% and Create a starting point
PDF reader default - changed from Microsoft Edge to Adobe
Web browser default - changed from Microsoft Edge to IE 11 or Chrome or Firefox
Suggested, Start menu app - set to “Turn off all suggestions”
SmartScreen filter - Turned Off
Settings > Privacy > Sync your settings - Set all options to Off
Settings > Privacy > Feedback and Diagnostics - Diagnostics to Basic, Feedback to Never
Wi-Fi Sense - Set all options to Off

Not enabled or disabled and/or hidden - Cortana digital assistant and Edge
mprusse

Post by mprusse »

Following instructions for setting up new Windows 10 computer and put [redacted] for the unit's password. The machine probably rebooted when I left the room after re-running LDSProvisioning and now the password won't let me back in to the unit account. Is there a default password that it might have reverted to?
Last edited by russellhltn on Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove password information
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mprusse wrote:Following instructions for setting up new Windows 10 computer and put [redacted] for the unit's password. The machine probably rebooted when I left the room after re-running LDSProvisioning and now the password won't let me back in to the unit account. Is there a default password that it might have reverted to?
Make sure your trying to get into the right account.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mprusse

Post by mprusse »

Yes, I'm attempting to log into the local unit account.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

mprusse wrote:Yes, I'm attempting to log into the local unit account.
I assume it won't let you in with no password. Otherwise I would call the help desk.
Craig
South Jordan, UT

Return to “Clerk Computers”