Why is our Dell shutting off?

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
chadpetty

Why is our Dell shutting off?

Post by chadpetty »

I received the announcement a week ago to leave the clerk computer on all the time for the Win 10 upgrade, which I did. However, every time I come back and check on it (after one or more days), it's powered off. Any idea why?

- I don't think someone else is powering it off -- we have a sign on it to leave it on

- At first I thought it was just a power blip (after some thunderstorms), but it's happened 3 or 4 times now

- I checked the power settings, nothing in there indicates that the computer will be automatically turned off

Can anyone think of a reason why the computer would be shutting down? Overheating, maybe? (It *is* July in North Carolina, after all : - ) It's a Dell Optiplex 7010. I checked the event log, didn't see anything obvious.

- Chad
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Why is our Dell shutting off?

Post by lajackson »

There are power settings that allow a computer to hibernate or sleep after a certain amount of inactivity. It may even be possible to set them to turn off. I suspect that one of these power settings is doing just that for you.
superdave98

Post by superdave98 »

We ran into a similar issue. The energy settings were set for sleep and hibernation, but nothing about actually shutting down. I thought perhaps it was a Windows Update issue with an updating running and causing it to reboot. I turned off all the energy saving settings temporarily to make sure it doesn't go to sleep or hibernate to see if that solves it.

Dave
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Sleep/hibernation settings are found under advanced. Not all settings are viable at the basic level.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Hibernation saves all the RAM data to the hard drive and powers the machine down. When a user powers it up again, the RAM data is restored and the desktop appears exactly as it did before hibernation. Hibernation will need to be disabled for any updates to be received.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Clerk Computers”