Youth home teaching member with annotated record

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
kotarokun

Youth home teaching member with annotated record

Post by kotarokun »

A bishop in our stake reports that a recent change to LCR restricts the assignment of a youth (17 years old, in this case) to a member with an annotation on their record.

Questions:

1) Is this Church policy? If so, is it documented anywhere? I have been unable to find anything except the caution in Handbook 1 section 17.3.2.

2) If not, is there a way to override the restriction in LCR if the bishop, in consultation with the stake president, feels that the home teaching assignment should continue?

Thanks,
David Luke
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Youth home teaching member with annotated record

Post by russellhltn »

Reading 17.3.2, it appears that any annotation related to church discipline would likely prevent being assigned as a teacher. It does appear that if the annotation is related to child abuse could be called to be a HT/VT. So without violating any confidences (this is a public forum), perhaps the first question is what kind of annotation appears.

Secondly, assuming this is a male, what priesthood do they hold? The person must be at least a Teacher to be assigned HT.

Sometimes there is a variance between what is in the Handbook and the "business rules" handed down by the Priesthood department. But first, we need to figure out if this is a bug or a business rule.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

kotarokun wrote:2) If not, is there a way to override the restriction in LCR if the bishop, in consultation with the stake president, feels that the home teaching assignment should continue?
There is no way to override this.
kotarokun wrote:1) Is this Church policy? If so, is it documented anywhere? I have been unable to find anything except the caution in Handbook 1 section 17.3.2.
I would have the bishop review the annotation message that is displayed, paying particular attention to the second paragraph.
russellhltn wrote:Sometimes there is a variance between what is in the Handbook and the "business rules" handed down by the Priesthood department. But first, we need to figure out if this is a bug or a business rule.
It is a business rule.
kotarokun

Post by kotarokun »

Thank you for the information. This gives me the information I need to help the bishop understand the situation.

Thanks,
David Luke

Return to “Membership Help”