New version of Gedcom (XML)

tertullian01-p40

New version of Gedcom (XML)

Post by tertullian01-p40 »

I have heard rumors for a few years that there was going to be a new version of the Gedcom specification. Potentially using XML. I am considering working on a genealogy program and it would be nice to be compatible with future versions of the Gedcom specification. Is there any news on what the next version of Gedcom will be? Or at least is there a preferred xml schema for Gedcom? I have seen several on the internet that various people have put together.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

A quick google turned up this Wikipedia link
tertullian01-p40

Thanks for the link. I hadn't seen Wikipedia article before. However, I looked at the GEDCOM 6.0 spec several years ago and it seemed good. But since it hadn't been implemented anywhere including in PAF I assumed it was more of a suggestion that something that had been decided on. Moreover, I have run into a variety of other xml formats on the web and as a result I was unsure of the status of GEDCOM 6.0.

But thank you for your reply. I appreciate it.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I really wish I could find the announcement, but my memory is that the LDS church stepped down from GEDCOM development. Since then I don't think any standards committee has emerged. So there it sits.

One problem with GEDCOM is it's the lowest common denominator. It's something like trying to move your database from one program to another via a CSV text file. It will do the job for the bulk of the data, but you can also loose things that way since the intermediate format doesn't support higher features.
tertullian01-p40

I understand completely. It would be nice to have an international standard but I guess we can work with what we have.
TMcGuire-p40

Post by TMcGuire-p40 »

One must consider that XML probably will never have a relationship to PAF. XML is really something to be considered in light of web development and usage.

Since GEDCOM has always been a text (card) based system of relating records, it will be interesting to see who implements GEDCOM 6.0 and why. It must be remembered that even GEDCOM 5.5 is not adhered to by all software vendors.

Regards,
T. McGuire

PS. Why do some think XML is an end-all be-all for everything?

Return to “FamilySearch Products”