Activate Windows

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
Steven.w.walker

Activate Windows

Post by Steven.w.walker »

Received error after upgrade that Activation failed because this device doesn't have a valid digital entitlement or product key. Error code: 0x803F7001

What is required to get the valid entitlement or product key?
Biggles

Re: Activate Windows

Post by Biggles »

My suggestion would be to contact the GSC. I'm sure they will have the answer, rather than expending a lot of time trying different ideas.
EricF42

Post by EricF42 »

I called the GSC today with the same problem and they transferred me to member leader support who told me not to worry about the error. I asked if that meant they would fix it remotely but I got more of a "don't worry about it" than a "we'll fix it" answer.

If anyone else was told to do something specific please post it here.

In case the two are related, FYI that this same clerk PC had Sophos 9.x instead of the 10.6. I thought I'd already fixed all of the ones like that in my Stake so I fixed it just now after the Windows 10 upgrade. That made all the different "Sophos" warnings Windows was giving me go away.
EricF42

Post by EricF42 »

I called the Member Leader Support team again to follow-up. Our clerk computer still showed "Activate Windows". I made sure we left the computer on during the week in case there would be an automatic fix.

They are going to escalate this time to another team. I made sure to leave the given clerk computer ON with a note reminding the unit to leave it on. I also made sure to give the person the computer number so they could include that in the ticket. One can get that information from the "Computer Name=" under the task bar's "System Information" item for the IBM Big Fix Remote.

If I hear back on a specific fix I'll update it here to help others. I'm willing to roll the change back but suspect this might be easy for the right team to remotely fix.
EricF42

Post by EricF42 »

The ticket ended with me being escalated to Microsoft who had to take over the computer, repair some broken services by re-installing Windows 10, and had to give me a new key for Windows 10. No cost, but it was a long night.

Before I had to call MS our support asked me to:

From an elevated command prompt run the command slmgr -ato
If this command works then a popup will show "Product activated successfully."

If that doesn't work, please call Microsoft Technical Support at 800-642-7676 and when prompted say "Windows 10 Activation" - and then when prompted say "Home". Say "No" to Feedback. Wait in queue. The technical support agent will then guide the caller remotely to resolve the license issue.

I really expected to get deflected by MTS but they took the issue and resolved it, no complaints.

Return to “Clerk Computers”