Configuring Cisco 881 to work with an outside static IP address

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
mdburr

Configuring Cisco 881 to work with an outside static IP address

Post by mdburr »

Do I need to do anything to configure our Cisco 881 to work with a static IP provided by our ISP?

We recently (finally) got a wired broadband connection to one of our buildings. I wasn't there for the installation, but based on the notes the installer left behind, our ISP has assigned us a static IP. When I connect the WAN port of the firewall to the outside line, it seems unable to communicate. Devices within the LAN are able to connect to the firewall and obtain IPs, but they cannot connect with the Internet. And a tracert from an inside device fails after hitting the firewall. My guess is the firewall is configured to work with a dynamic IP from the ISP, not static, and that I need to configure the static IP for the outside line on the firewall, but I'm unsure.

Any pointers here?

Thanks,

Matt Burr
pete.arnett

Re: Configuring Cisco 881 to work with an outside static IP address

Post by pete.arnett »

Try connecting and conferring a static IP address on a laptop to see if it gets Internet connection - if not then call your Internet Service Provider (ISP) support

If the Internet works, then get your Cisco 881 console firewall cable working with Putty and the contact LDS Global Support to configure the firewall
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It's not clear if the install instructions covers a static IP. You may have to contact Global Service Center. I believe they will be open late Sunday (when it's 8AM in Australasia.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
CleggGP
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by CleggGP »

mdburr wrote:Do I need to do anything to configure our Cisco 881 to work with a static IP provided by our ISP?
The firewall can be configured to use a static IP address by reactivating the firewall. To do this you would first do a 10-10-10 firewall hardware reset (press and hold the router reset button for 10 seconds with the power on, turn off the router while continuing to hold the reset button for 10 seconds, and then turn on the router while continuing to hold the reset button for 10 seconds). Next you will need to activate the firewall by following the activation instructions on MHTech (https://www.lds.org/help/support/firewa ... ctivation?). During the activation process you have the option of selecting a static IP address. With reactivation you will keep your existing IP address firewall ranges (which you would otherwise lose if you had the firewall deactivated and then reactivated). I hope this helps.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”